• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness vs Marth Help, Please.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I could complain about my main or I can hope that someone here has a solution. I still haven't gotten a response from the Marcina forums, so I'm hoping you guys and gals have some advice on how I can deal with Marth and/or Lucina. What are their onstage weaknesses if they have any? What is a good option to deal with them offstage, them being the ones in danger?

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Offstage always PK Thunder, that’s how you win this matchup. On stage keep your spacing tight and try and catch their landings with PK Fire into your grab combos. Fair is a good disjoint to use in neutral in this matchup and nair can help as a get off me tool. You kind of have to bait them into playing overly aggressive and then punish them with grabs, pk fire, and aerials

Once they’re offstage PK Thunder wins you the matchup. Just keep juggling. It’s definitely a doable matchup and I don’t have nearly as much trouble as I used to with it

Uffe

Smash Hero
Offstage always PK Thunder, that’s how you win this matchup. On stage keep your spacing tight and try and catch their landings with PK Fire into your grab combos. Fair is a good disjoint to use in neutral in this matchup and nair can help as a get off me tool. You kind of have to bait them into playing overly aggressive and then punish them with grabs, pk fire, and aerials

Once they’re offstage PK Thunder wins you the matchup. Just keep juggling. It’s definitely a doable matchup and I don’t have nearly as much trouble as I used to with it
Alright. Good to know. I got some info from the Marth/Lucina forums as well. I'll have to use this info to my advantage from the both of you. Thanks!

yung kirb

Smash Rookie
catch their jumps before they can even throw out forward air, and always be ready to attack out of shield. if you're fighting against a nooby marth or lucina and your shields a little diminished they'll try and pull a nutty shield breaker but its not that hard to avoid if you're ness

Mr Saturn Fanboy

Smash Apprentice
Careful of holding shield, because Shield Breaker got a buff. Go for spot dodges and rolls instead. Not that theres anything wrong with shields, just keep them short and sweet.

Try to stay away from PK Fire unless youre punishing a landing. Marths love their aerials, and as such they can have a bit of endlag. Use that to your advantage. That being said, make sure you cancel your endlag or land in a safe spot, as a Marth can also take advantage of your endlag as well.

Marths are also absolutely vulnerable to PK Thunder, as their recoveries are linear and predictable.

Marths aren't very heavy, and backthrow can kill at around 110%-ish from near the ledge; But theyre heavy enough to be strung along with your own aerials. Just be careful because a miss could lead to a punish. (I think he's a little bit lighter than Inkling and Villager for reference)

Make sure to keep yourself very well spaced. Practice with a CPU if you can't work out the hitboxes. Theyre very big and very fast.

Just like with any matchup, keep your cool. Sometimes, getting tilted is exactly what your opponent wants you to do. Since Marth has a good punish game, getting mad and using your stronger attacks (that have a bunch of lag, like the bat or PK Fire) will only get you thrashed.

I hope this helps.

-Saltyclams-

Smash Rookie
I could complain about my main or I can hope that someone here has a solution. I still haven't gotten a response from the Marcina forums, so I'm hoping you guys and gals have some advice on how I can deal with Marth and/or Lucina. What are their onstage weaknesses if they have any? What is a good option to deal with them offstage, them being the ones in danger?
marth still has problems landing so use pk thunder as a juggle tool you can wait out there air dodge or wait for them to try and break the thunder with a disjoint but keepiing them up there is essential to winning the game

-Saltyclams-

Smash Rookie
catch their jumps before they can even throw out forward air, and always be ready to attack out of shield. if you're fighting against a nooby marth or lucina and your shields a little diminished they'll try and pull a nutty shield breaker but its not that hard to avoid if you're ness
i disagree about catching jumps before the throw out a hitbox there very long and very fast and doing that will only cause you to get hit in a majority of cases its better to catch landing with pk fire and then combo off of that instead makes you less vulnerable and gives you more reward

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
Trying to catch Marcina’s jumps is generally a bad idea. It can work if you get close enough to nair, but if he predicts/reacts to it then you’ll likely eat a lot of damage or maybe a stock.

My personal strategy is to play as lame as possible with projectiles and avoid approaching at all costs. Punishing Marcinas approach is far easier than cracking their defence as Ness, imo. It’s not fun and it’s not pretty, but it can be effective. Of course, this idea probably doesn’t work as well against an aggressive Marcina, but most Marcina players I’ve seen tend to play super lame on stage.

yung kirb

Smash Rookie
ok? i only added the ellipsis because smashboards needs 10 letters for a reply LMAO

Top Bottom