• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Down B Problem....

Fayt

Smash Rookie
Hello, first off sorry for posting a thread to ask a question, I didn't see a quick questions thread or anything and looked around and couldn't find an answer. I have been playing smash and PM for a while, I got can double jump cancel fast fall l cancel, all that **** and what not, however there is something with Ness I just cant figure out. His bread and butter combo, where you short hop -> down b -> jump again/cancel -> attack -> land -> L cancel, is giving me problems.
When I am not attacking anyone, just doing it in the air, I can do it repetitively over and over and over no problem, and normally when I am doing it on someone I can do it, however sometimes when I am doing it on someone, and hit them with the Down B, it wont let me jump again out off it until I land. I don't understand, sometimes when they get hit with my down b ness just wont do anything until he touches the ground, other times I can go ape**** with combos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSLV7XUdH88
what he is doing in this video a lot is what I am talking about.

Halp pl0x. Thank you very much

Bryonato

Green Hat
The problem could be hitlag, where you are essentially unable to do anything for a few frames after a move hits. For example try waveshining with Fox, and then try waveshining with the shine hitting an opponent. You'll notice a slight difference in the proper timing.

If that's not it then...

When I was first learning how to utilize magnet I ran into this problem, a lot. I honestly can't tell you for sure what it is. For quick aerials out of magnet I now use tap jump as it is much more reliable. If I want more of a swing or to do a rising aerial out of magnet I use x/y.
I've talked about this with SinisterB and something he does is hold B for a bit longer than he normally would if he was jumping out of a shine or something.

The fact is is that magnet takes 8 frames to come out and isn't jump cancellable until frame 11 IIRC and so you may just be doing it too fast? I had that problem too.

Hope this helps or clears things up. Sorry that I don't have a straight answer for you.

Fayt

Smash Rookie
THANK YOU! I have been doing it too fast. If I wait like a millisecond longer it works every time. I feel like an idiot I was trying the opposite, thinking I'm not mashing out of it fast enough and that's the problem.

Top Bottom