• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Needs tips for Young Link

Estwood

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3609-2019-2185
I am a :foxmelee: main but seeing the potential of :younglinkmelee: that I see Melee players I decided to use him as a secondary. And for some reason I'm really the only one who uses him in MD/VA. But I need some tips for competitive play such as: Bomb ledge cancelling, lethality of the boomerang, combos to Dair, attacks to crouch cancel with, the potential of moonwalking. Any other information related to:younglinkmelee: would be greatly appreciated.

rhan

Smash Hero
Laijin and myself says Sup.

Anyway you should get with Laijin. He'll be able to explain more in person depending on what tourneys are happening in MD. There's a lot to explain and I'm too lazy and don't have enough time to go on a rant. Specific things I can point out though. Also you should join the MD/VA facebook group.

Rosy

Smash Apprentice
Yo, watch axe. Then combine the goods with Axe and the goods with Laijin.

Two totally different play styles (one is in your face, while the other is very campy).

shuffle bairs are great for mixing up, and learn about YLinks boomrang cancels.

His boomrang cancel (in my opinion) is the best mix up you can do with YLink and you can even do boomrang jumps (find it on youtube) once you master it.

Also, after playing YLink for a while, I have realized that his edgeguards differ for every character and he is very matchup specific.

Mr. S

Smash Apprentice
Axe and Laijin have different styles of play, yes, but it takes more than just watching them play to properly learn anything. If you're gonna watch people play, you have to take mindful notes (what YL did, why he did it and the outcome of it---both when he messes up and when he succeeds) and practice the necessary tech. Remember that, especially when playing a lower-tier character, you really have to understand the character in and out. That's different from being able to situationally regurgitate stuff you saw Axe and Laijin do.

I'm going to guess you at least sort of know what the terms you mentioned in the OP mean, especially with something as specific as bomb ledge canceling. In that case, just practice it. Practice everything. Find all sorts of applications for everything. Embrace the cheese.

"Lethality of the boomerang" doesn't really mean much. If you know when to use it, it's great. If you don't know when to use it, it's not quite as great. Boomerang has a decent amount of knockback and can be used to bait people into shielding, dodging or moving to a less advantageous position. It also cancels whatever you're doing if it makes contact with you when coming back to you. You could theoretically use it to instantly cancel dair lag and even use up-b twice (or up-b into hookshot), but that kind of thing is insanely hard, and the boomerang is a little wonky, so it wouldn't be something to rely on.

Crouch cancel moves that aren't dumb to crouch cancel, I guess. Low-damage moves with decent amounts of lag for the attacker are pretty good to crouch cancel. Ganon fair and Peach dsmash are awful to crouch cancel. It's often not a bad idea to crouch cancel Sheik's aerials (especially nair) and d-smash. Crouch canceling space animal moves can be risky because if they l-cancel it correctly that shine can come out really fast.

Combos to dair are matchup specific. Bomb-dair is pretty trusty. It would stand to reason that people know that YL will want to hit with dair, so opponents might be ready for that. Keep your options open.

Moonwalking is mostly a flashy thing imo. Falcons use it to look mad stylish and sometimes land a bair or fair on someone way out away from the ledge. I think it could a mixup at best; honestly I think it mainly just nets style points.

Honestly, the best thing you can do is play the game and see what works best. There's only so much that watching other people and theorycrafting can do. You have Laijin and Rhan in your area. Get in touch with them; they are excellent resources.

But, really, nothing beats just picking up the controller and playing.

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice
i guess what he meant with "attacks to crouch cancel with" was which move you should use after crouch cancelling your opponents move, or even when both players face each other cc'ing.
if your opponnent is at high percents down smash makes sense.
if your opponnent is at low percents, i wasn't sure but wanted to know for myself.
-up-B is great because it's not cc'able but risky.
-down tilt is too slow
-forward tilt kinda works but i don't know if it isn't just less effective than ->
-down smash

moonwalking is effective to get momentum for a bair approach if you expect you opponent to shield, but i guess it sucks in neutral because bair has zero range.

besides bomb -> dair you can also combo a close range smashed boomerang to dair (roll reads and stuff). for close range bomb -> dair often won't work because you hit yourself with the bomb.

Rosy

Smash Apprentice
Also keep in mind that Ylink can steal the edge easily by UpB>ledge and Laijin uses it A LOT to edge guard.

I disagree though, waching video is a good way to learn what works (mostly). Axe normal wins all matches and thats because he has a tech heavy play style. If you learn the tech and how his spacing works, you can do the same.

Im working on learning the tech, but its hard, and its very true: when you pick a low-mid teir, you need to learn the ins and outs of your character to even have a chance against mid level let alone high level high teirs.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Other Young Links to look at on the internet:
Armada
Chu Dat
Sora
D20
Wak

Axe is obviously the epitome of aggression, and Armada is probably the epitome of camping. I don't think Laijin is honestly very campy for a young link.

Mr. S

Smash Apprentice
Other Young Links to look at on the internet:
Armada
Chu Dat
Sora
D20
Wak

Axe is obviously the epitome of aggression, and Armada is probably the epitome of camping. I don't think Laijin is honestly very campy for a young link.
Chip has a good YL too. A lot of YL stuff is super old-school, which is p sick.

Last edited:
Top Bottom