• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Needing some game play advice...

tripp6313

Smash Apprentice
ok... So I've recently ditched playing snake and picked up squirtle...and I LOVE this character far more than I do snake... only problem i'm face with is that i'm finding more and more i rely way to much on withdraw or bubble to start tech chases... Now i wish i could post vids but atm our crew down here at S-ville are not equipped with the means to do so... but eventually i will i guess... but I was wondering if i could get some pointers on things i could do that could help me improve my gameplay so get off my withdraw heaviness..or am i playing this wrong and it turns out i'm wrong in my game play and need to change up... any pointers available?

SSB_Hello

Smash Apprentice
Hey there,

Withdraw is a great tool for tech chasing and general % rack up. There's nothing wrong with it - but spamming it will make you readable. I generally avoid using it from a distance, and try to use it only when it's harder to instantly react to.

Shell Shifting is a great tool to improve your neutral game, baiting them to throw out a move then you can hit them out of it. Squirtle also has strong aerials, use these in your mix up. Bubble can be good to approach from. If they expect you to jump side b, you can down b instead and trick them, then lead into a forward air or what you feel appropriate for the match up.

Squirtle's wavedashing is also good to bait things out as well.

Don't forget about his grab either. There are a lot of ways you can generally mix up your neutral game, perhaps I'm doing a bad job of explaining, but when I play squirtle it just comes naturally with his rather nice combo game.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
All great advice above, I'd try all of those things, especially shellshift. Its not just good for baiting purposes either, it also has offensive applications, as it puts out a little hitbox that you have many ways of cancelling and ending your commitment to the move, or chaining it into more attacks.

In addition, you should start messing around with the various strengths of his watergun and its various uses. Not sure how you feel about the move, but I personally thought it was meh until I really forced myself to incorporate it into my play, and then I found what an amazing tool it can be.

tripp6313

Smash Apprentice
Thanks demon hunter and burnsy...Ya I like shellshift a lot too... i like the turn around slingshot feel its got... now Burnsy what are some tricks with watergun?.. i've seriously starting to feel limited with my play on that beyond trying to use it as a gimping tool or a reset so that i can get a breather

Top Bottom