• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Needing a bit of help against Dedede...

JDegner790

Smash Rookie
Alright, so here's my issue:

My normal attack strategy is the fairly common; short hopping fairs (or RARing dairs occasionally, but not often since they don't have as much range) and trying to DI back so that the character I'm attacking can't shield grab or do anything else out of shield, for that matter. But Dedede has like... One of the best standing grabs in the game, and I haven't been able to WoP fairs because he shield grabs the **** out of me. And as most of us know, getting grabbed by Dedede is never good since he can chain throw.

Is there any way I can remedy this? A different approach, maybe?

Shears

Smash Master
you can use the tornado, its hard to grab into the tornado so youll have a better chance at getting attacks in but he can still break the tornado and grab.

you can also jump over him and do a bair to dsmash which the dsmash could catch him off guard when he tries to grab. or you could bair to grab. metaknights bair can turn him around so the grab is easy to land and unless he sidesteps, youve got him.

SabinX

Smash Journeyman
approach with d.air then on block jump d.air again.. if he goes to block grab he is punished. then can mixup with short hop d.air land d.smash or if u can tell he's blocking more after being hit enough.. d.air land grab

Mindgames son.

install fear in your enemy

-SabinX

JDegner790

Smash Rookie
Thank you much to both of you. I'll be sure to try these things out the next chance I get. I had been using Tornado until I made this thread, but Dedede's ftilt can interrupt it pretty easily. So thanks.

GiantKiller

Smash Cadet
MK's FAir and DAir both have practically imperceptible landing lag, so you can try landing the attack just inside MK's DSmash range, then follow it up immediately with a DSmash, which will hopefully come out faster than his grab. FTilt or DTilt might work even better.

-GK

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
Mindgames, as mentioned above. Ever tried an empty short hop into a dsmash (on the edge of it's hitbox) or ftilt? That's only one somewhat creative option. There are plenty of others.

However, if you space it properly, the only thing you should have to worry about are jabs and ftilts against Dedede. He has an excellent grab, but it doesn't have as much range as MK's fair.

Shears

Smash Master
a good dedede will grab you while youre doing your fair or just before your dsmash. dont approach him from the front, if hes good he wins. unless the dedede is mediocre you wont be able to get any attack off in front of him without him shield grabbing you. dededes grab has the reach of MKs dsmash, so spacing isnt an option. mindgames and getting behind him for an attack are your best bet. unless they suck, then you could just run up and grab them first.

a quick way to get behind dedede because jumping or running might take to long. downB. i think thats the only good use of that move, mindgames and spacing. dont do the downB attack though, the lag will get you punished, just downB and then a grab or dsmash.

Polish Rifle

Smash Cadet
Mindgames, as mentioned above. Ever tried an empty short hop into a dsmash (on the edge of it's hitbox) or ftilt? That's only one somewhat creative option. There are plenty of others.
fair.
The empty short hop is a technique that I use a lot that I haven't seen on a lot of videos. I've been abusing the Dair so much lately that my opponent is usually conditioned to it so they start shielding when I approach them with a short hop.

I remember I used to use this technique in 64 a lot with Fox.

cloudz

Smash Journeyman
i play dedede,

dedede can not chaingrab you. if you get grabbed, mix up which way you tech/roll.

NEVEr roll towards him(he will predict it and f-smash you) when you roll towards him it matches the sweetspot exactly of his f-smash

you'll die at 20%

Ice9

Smash Apprentice
D3 can cook your dinner if he connects a fsmash, so the best thing to do it to be patient, let him thorw the waddles at you, and capitalize any and all opening into Fair pain. And Dsmash when you get the chance, It will send him flying, and D3's horizontal recovery is poopoo

Top Bottom