• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some help with ZSS here.

TheHelixKing

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0318-8057-0784
I'm having a really hard time using her efficiently and it's really upsetting because I like her fighting style a lot and I want to be good with her, but for the life of me I just can't do well with her. Can you guys give me some like tips or general things to do with her to be good with her?

Disorient

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0602-6507-5297
I recommend reading Dakpo's analysis for some insight on how her moves work & when you should use them, and definitely watch the videos. I'd link it but i'm too much of a lurk to have the post count to do that right now. It's called "Zss just won both of the invitationals and here's how"

As for customs, I like Whip Lash, aka Side Special 3 more than the others. It's harder to use than her standard Sideb since only the tip of the whip does anything, but more rewarding because it puts your opponent in a position where you can possibly hit them with whatever aerial, UTilt, or USmash. Breverse & wavebouncing helps with spacing both that & lasers if you know how.
I typically try to hit people with a sideb3, UTilt out of shield, laser and/or DThrow which can be followed up by a few things while just plain putting you in an advantageous position, DSmash when expecting an air dodge, roll, or some other read, and try to get the most of out of juggling. Upb, FSmash, and Downb are her best kill moves.

Last edited:

zozo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0146-9842-1089
Stop running and doing her dash attack, stop rolling all over the stage, stop dash grabbing, stop mashing dodge, stop doing random down Bs in the air, stop mashing A. There you go.

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
Down grab leads into follow ups. Punish whiffed moves with up-b at kill percentages. Space with side b/b/tilts

Daisy101

Smash Journeyman
When you're at the % kill, i recommend to try focusing on the 3 kill moves, Up-B Down-B and FSmash. you can Down-Smash follow by a Up-B too it work too. Dashattack can start some good air neutral.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
You can start I guess by improving at the basics with her movement and mobility options, I for one feel like its a matter of preference for what your comfortable with: for example when I mained Zss in brawl I always had issues with smaller characters which I would sometimes be unable to land kill moves on or when I would try It would just be out of reach/ I'd fast fall to far and land before my aerial comes out.

Another issue was maintaining stage control but Zss in this game does it Alot better then Brawl granted her zoning has been nerfed/tweaked into different areas. Knock em off go back to the center and think about what you want to do when they get back on the stage.

Get good at her tilts and I don't just mean being able to up tilt or down tilt I'm talking about the annoying things like being able to low angle f-tilt at low %s to try and get a trip and as SMFP stated in his thread about her changed moves her high angled F-tilt kills at higher %s but I'm a one trick pony seems I'm only satisfied with a baited smash from my enemies while I go in for a down b ground pound -> up b xD.

Super huge advice in terms of her down special until you are 100% sure of what's going to happen and you know the ranges DO NOT DO HER DOWN B KICK off stage, I've seriously lost like 7 for glory matches from me SDing like that sigh.

Lastly don't rely on Gimmicks unless your in 100% control of it IE don't try the robin infinite in for glory T.T Lost 2 matches that way.

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
There is never a moment with zss when ur doing nothing. Your nuetral b is 1 of your best zoning tools.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
There is never a moment with zss when ur doing nothing. Your nuetral b is 1 of your best zoning tools.
It is also nice for canceling enemies dash attacks right as they get to you and then you jab them or grab them xD
Another thing I kick my self for is the amount of forced get ups I should be getting with her laser.

Last edited:

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
It is also nice for canceling enemies dash attacks right as they get to you and then you jab them or grab them xD
That and the mind games, different level of charge lead to different distances reflect users always have a problem adjusting if u mix the levels ;3

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
to be honest i think there is only like 2 levels fully charged and uncharged -> inbetween i need to test more before i am sure.

Zero Suit Roxas

Smash Cadet
NNID
LeBabbo
3DS FC
0748-1742-4057
Stop running and doing her dash attack, stop rolling all over the stage, stop dash grabbing, stop mashing dodge, stop doing random down Bs in the air, stop mashing A. There you go.
Those are actually a bunch of the strategies I use. Her dash attack is mostly safe when it's not countered with someone else's attack, since even if she misses she'll probably end up behind her enemy. Dash grabbing is an effective way to start a combo or juggle someone. Random Flip Jumps are how you stop being predictable, so you don't end up landing in someone's up smash attack. It's also a nice counter for when opponents use lots of projectiles, since you jump over them and follow with either a damaging kick or buried opponent. It's also a nice tool for meteor smashing opponents. Her neutral attack is nice as a small zoning tool, especially when they're right in front of you.

I don't know why you're against these tactics, but those are some of ZSS's best moves.

Top Bottom