• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some help with Fair.

Jimbo_G

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0920-1016-4491
I just need help knowing how to use it effectively, assuming it's even all that useful to begin with. I never seem to have much of a reason for it, especially since it has such a huge start-up and recovery and really doesn't do much of anything for damage. Could someone also explain to me how to get it to spike instead hitting them horizontally? Thank you for the info!

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Fair is one of Mario's more powerful attacks. Very useful for racking up damage and spiking if you hit it right. The horizontal hitboxes are on the OUTSIDE of his fist when the attack comes out, the spike is on the inside. Fair is good for leading to techchasing, which is simple to read on Brawl. If you predict them right, that's a free grab/Fsmash/Usmash after they roll from the Fair spike to the ground. Timing is key with it, however, and you have to be aware of who you're using it against.

Jimbo_G

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0920-1016-4491
Ok, that helps a lot, but can you give me an example as to when Fair should be used over his Bair? Every time I try Fair it's usually by accident leading to a swift kick to the face, and when I do use it purposely the long recovery almost always leaves me open for a counter, even if I land it.

Your example doesn't need to be elaborate. I'm familiar enough with this game to be able to apply whatever you tell me to my play style, I just need an idea of when it's appropriate and beneficial to use instead of an incredibly reliable Bair.

EarthWindandFire

Smash Rookie
A rather safe use for the Fair is simply for edgeguarding. Remember that Fair has no auto-cancel frames
when landing, and that L-canceling doesn't exist in Brawl.

Jimbo_G

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0920-1016-4491
Yeah, I've learned the hard way that landing while the move is in progress does nothing to shorten it's recovery. ^^;;; That's why I'm so cautious and apprehensive about using it. It just doesn't seem worth it with how vulnerable it leaves you, whether it hits or not.

Raisinbran10488

Smash Cadet
Well as far as you trying to get the spike hitbox down, id suggest just going to training mode, set the AI to jump. And just whack away at him. Get some sort of feel for the timing you need to land the move, things like that. Might help a little bit.

Messiano

Smash Journeyman
Well as far as you trying to get the spike hitbox down, id suggest just going to training mode, set the AI to jump. And just whack away at him. Get some sort of feel for the timing you need to land the move, things like that. Might help a little bit.
Ya and it wont take long its a beastly move just remember to have at least a jump left on your recovery if your gunna edge guard with it

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Mario's Fair is simlar to Diddy's Dair in that ALL good players use these Spikes extensively, but not predictably, although Mario doesn't necessarily need to use his Spike as much as Diddy does because his attacks are more powerful...
Nonetheless, integrating Fairs into edgeguarding/combo finishers at edge can lead to those glorious 50% kills.

Seeing as how others have already posted how to do the spike, I just figured it would be nice to post my opinion on how it could be used. :D

Top Bottom