• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some desperate help against Sheik!

Jimbo_G

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0920-1016-4491
Heya, there's a Sheik player I need to beat who I'm having trouble with. The thing is, he does an unbelievable amount of dodge rolling and spot dodging. Not some dodging, but CONSTANTLY dodging, over and over and over and over again. He doesn't use running or jumping to get around unless he needs to move the entire length of a stage. I just can't hit him for the life of me, and EVERY attack I make is immediately countered with a grab, a down smash, or a F-tilt combo lock. I've tried attacking in between his rolls and spot dodges, but Mario just isn't fast enough to usually catch up or attack multiple times in between spot dodges to hit that single frame of vulnerability. What in God's name does it take to turn this Sheik's CONSTANT dodging and rolling against him?

Note: I've heard Luigi is better against Sheik than Mario. I'm trying to pick up Luigi as a secondary, so what is your opinion in using Luigi instead of Mario? (assuming you have experience with him.)

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Heya, there's a Sheik player I need to beat who I'm having trouble with. The thing is, he does an unbelievable amount of dodge rolling and spot dodging. Not some dodging, but CONSTANTLY dodging, over and over and over and over again. He doesn't use running or jumping to get around unless he needs to move the entire length of a stage. I just can't hit him for the life of me, and EVERY attack I make is immediately countered with a grab, a down smash, or a F-tilt combo lock. I've tried attacking in between his rolls and spot dodges, but Mario just isn't fast enough to usually catch up or attack multiple times in between spot dodges to hit that single frame of vulnerability. What in God's name does it take to turn this Sheik's CONSTANT dodging and rolling against him?

Note: I've heard Luigi is better against Sheik than Mario. I'm trying to pick up Luigi as a secondary, so what is your opinion in using Luigi instead of Mario? (assuming you have experience with him.)
Wait for the invisiblity frames to finish and then punish him. Time it more carefully this time. As for rolling, just predict where he'll go and get him from there with an attack like D-smash. I've faced roll spammers before so I know what I'm talking about. Because Sheik's a fastfaller, Mario has an easy time juggling her with uair. Use that to your advantage. Be more defensive and see how that works for you.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
You don't need to switch character for this, Mario deals just fine. Just back-off and camp her with fireballs. Force her to approach you instead of rolling around. Once she's on the offensive and out of her comfort zone, lay down your punishment thick and edgeguard her. She's not high tier no more!

Jimbo_G

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0920-1016-4491
I never thought about it before, but I DO play an overly offensive game. The whole idea of camping has never seemed fun to me. I LOVE to go right into the thick of things. After all, the point of a fighting game is to defeat your opponent, not wait him to death. XP But in this instance you guys are right about the fact that I need to play the defensive game back at him. I have a more powerful and useful projectile; I need to use it for more than just approaching.

Quick question though; can Mario Nair out of Sheik's F-tilt combo? I wasn't able to pull it off when I was fighting him, but I was also a bit too flustered to fully comprehend everything that was going on in the fight.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I never thought about it before, but I DO play an overly offensive game. The whole idea of camping has never seemed fun to me. I LOVE to go right into the thick of things. After all, the point of a fighting game is to defeat your opponent, not wait him to death. XP But in this instance you guys are right about the fact that I need to play the defensive game back at him. I have a more powerful and useful projectile; I need to use it for more than just approaching.

Quick question though; can Mario Nair out of Sheik's F-tilt combo? I wasn't able to pull it off when I was fighting him, but I was also a bit too flustered to fully comprehend everything that was going on in the fight.
Probably. Well, you can DI up and jump out of it around 30%. I've gotten out of it with Ike so Mario should be easier.

Top Bottom