• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need opinions on some tourney rules

doublec72

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
CC#985
NNID
DoubleC72
Switch FC
SW-0865-3676-5395
So I've been a TO for about a month now and i'm wondering if I should change or implement some new rules

• 2 stock 6 minutes? or 3 stock 8?
We currently use the 3 stocks, as that is what the TO before me used, in addition to 3 stocks being used on Smashladder. However, it seems that only we use 3 stocks, especially since all the majors/nationals I've seen use 2. This is an especially tricky decision, due to weighing the advantages of having 3 stocks, versus the time efficiency of 2 stocks and being consistent with the majors/nationals

• 2/3? or 3/5 (For winners/losers/grand finals)?
This makes me wonder because I'm near Xanadu, who uses 2/3 for their entire smash 4 bracket including finals, despite using 3/5 for Melee (I think)

• Star/Screen KOs
Here we get more controversial: Star and Screen KOs are totally random. Aside from them being from kills off the top, there is no method to them. Leaving the game to be determined by luck can be deemed as uncompetitive, and thus some people believe "If you hit the blast line first, you lose" which i think is somewhat reasonable. But on the flip-side, does anybody really have the authority to remove the element of luck from the game? (Like the Pokémon fanbase does with their competitive battles) And though it is reasonable to some people, no majors/nationals think this way, so why should anybody else?

• Suicide moves
This is one that personally grinds my gears: As of now, the initiator of the suicide move wins in a last-stock situation as long as the target dies before the user. This is another somewhat controversial topic as it conflicts with who the game declares the winner. If a suicide clause were to be implemented it would be something along the lines of "If you initiate a suicide move on your last stock, you lose the game regardless of what the results screen says" The only counterargument to implementing this would be again "since no one else does it, why should we?"

Please comment with your opinion on how I should change the rules or keep them the same

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
2 Stock 6 Minutes, the game takes way too long, you don't need it to drag out for way too long.
2/3, same reason as before.
If you're being star/screen KOed, you're as dead as you would be had you hit the blast zone, if you start either animation, and your opponent dies, you lose.
Suicide initiator wins.

Top Bottom