• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need Olimar Tips :)

eaglith

Smash Rookie

really_calm

Smash Journeyman
I don't think you should be approaching with his dair. It's not all that safe. If Olimar has any weakness, it's his ability to be juggled.

Also you missed some opportunities to gimp ivysaur.

eaglith

Smash Rookie
Thank you for the tips. I need to learn how to edge guard, I never bothered edge-guarding in melee, I used peach. Also, I think i need to improve my Down B, as a way to stop the flinch.

DeathNote

Smash Apprentice
To gimp Ivysaur just jump off the ledge, and use your Up-B... his up-B cant get him back on the ledge when you are on it

Kabuto Mushi

Smash Journeyman
I have a few suggestions so here goes:

[*]You seem to roll a lot, maybe this is just melee still influencing me but I really think you shouldn't do it so much.
[/LIST]
erm, why is this again? I tend to roll around alot, too... Fear of being grabbed, maybe? :confused:

NC-Echo

Smash Lord

• Like has previously been said, you really shouldn't D-air so much, it's Olimar's laggiest aerial and really is not good to approach with.
  • You shouldn't approach with F-B, its a great move to spam but you should pull back after you use it and not jump straight at your opponent and do it; I saw several where you got punished because you approached with the F-B.
  • I understand that some people like to attack with U-B (personally I rarely use it but different strokes, right?), however you used it a few times in the air, missed and then was either punished or just missed an opportunity to attack.
  • You seem to play a very offensive game and thats fine I like to play aggressively myself but I believe that if you played a little more defensively you would do a lot better. Almost all of Olimars aerials have very little priority so if you want to play aggressively than you need to know what moves to use. Charizard, for example, should not do that well against Olimar, you really would do a lot better if you kept your distance.
  • Olimar isn't great at edge-guarding but all you need to do against Ivysaur is edge-hog.
  • Olimar has an amazing grab and you really don't seem to use it. In the second match I saw Ivysaur running-A you 3 or 4 times and all you would have needed to do was shield grab. Also you can grab Squirtle out of his withdrawal (F-B).
  • You seem to roll a lot, maybe this is just melee still influencing me but I really think you shouldn't do it so much.
  • Like a previous poster said, try not to be so predictable; after watching the first match I felt like I could easily predict how the second and third would play out.

All together your not a bad player but you really should work on your approach. Pokemon Trainer can be a difficult match, Squirtle in particular, but its not nearly as hard as your videos make it look.

Kabuto Mushi said:
erm, why is this again? I tend to roll around alot, too... Fear of being grabbed, maybe?
A good player will find ways to punish rolling, especially if used excessively.

Zellsfalco

Smash Apprentice
LOL Eag remember these tips for the next time i play u but instead of u and Agent it will be U and Zell^ Son!
Naw but seriously u really gotta stop being so predictable and grab more often :D Like Falco :D

eaglith

Smash Rookie
Thanks a lot NC-Echo... Over the past week I've been playing Brawl I thought the thing I need most to change is my defensive strategy.

I tend to roll a lot, mostly from being a Smash Veteran (I played friendly's with mates over the 6 to 7 years it was out), and basically I grew up on rolling around. One thing I need to master, is spamming SideB, and when they approach me, I use his various, powerful smashes. I think im too aggresive and using is Air moves excessively.

Thanks for the tips, I haven't played Multiplayer in a couple days, but goin to my mates house today and ima try out some new tricks. :) haha

eaglith

Smash Rookie
I got my wireless working! my friend code is in my sig... pls pm me your friend code thankx!!!!! zomg im so excited.

asob4

Smash Champion

• Like has previously been said, you really shouldn't D-air so much, it's Olimar's laggiest aerial and really is not good to approach with.
  • You shouldn't approach with F-B, its a great move to spam but you should pull back after you use it and not jump straight at your opponent and do it; I saw several where you got punished because you approached with the F-B.
  • I understand that some people like to attack with U-B (personally I rarely use it but different strokes, right?), however you used it a few times in the air, missed and then was either punished or just missed an opportunity to attack.
  • You seem to play a very offensive game and thats fine I like to play aggressively myself but I believe that if you played a little more defensively you would do a lot better. Almost all of Olimars aerials have very little priority so if you want to play aggressively than you need to know what moves to use. Charizard, for example, should not do that well against Olimar, you really would do a lot better if you kept your distance.
  • Olimar isn't great at edge-guarding but all you need to do against Ivysaur is edge-hog.
  • Olimar has an amazing grab and you really don't seem to use it. In the second match I saw Ivysaur running-A you 3 or 4 times and all you would have needed to do was shield grab. Also you can grab Squirtle out of his withdrawal (F-B).
  • You seem to roll a lot, maybe this is just melee still influencing me but I really think you shouldn't do it so much.
  • Like a previous poster said, try not to be so predictable; after watching the first match I felt like I could easily predict how the second and third would play out.

All together your not a bad player but you really should work on your approach. Pokemon Trainer can be a difficult match, Squirtle in particular, but its not nearly as hard as your videos make it look.
QFT
everything he said but with more emphasis on grabbing
he has a great grab game that can lead to so many combo opportunities
and remember, platforms are your friends

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
well, my one piece of advice would be to spice up your game by grabbing a little more, your approaches are too predictable and olimars grab range is insane, plus the throws can kill at higher percents. and your down smash is a good move to get some distance, it comes out fast, small to no lag, covers both sides, and is strong, too.

Sikarios

Smash Cadet
Spot dodge --> Dsmash = broken

abuse the **** outta that
QFT, I rack up all my %'s with this move and Fsmash. Olimar is SO tiny and nonthreatening that some of my noob friends want to outright ban Olimar due to my dodge to Dsmash abuse. :chuckle:

Also, since this is a tip thread:

Does anyone have any good tips for getting out more Pikmin when you've killed/lost them all and a troublesome Pit/Toon Link/Marth won't leave you alone for enough time to pull? What moves DOES Olimar have when he's Pikminless?

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
he's got all his tilts, his standard a combo, and his nuetral air. i suggest spamming th n air untill you can get to a safe spot, the down tilt is a got poke, and the uptilt is good for breaking up combos. i find when in a tough situation you only need to pluck 1 pikmin and then use it to get some attacks in, once you've distanced your self then try for a few more, but it almost takes no time to just pluck one.

Sikarios

Smash Cadet
he's got all his tilts, his standard a combo, and his nuetral air. i suggest spamming th n air untill you can get to a safe spot, the down tilt is a got poke, and the uptilt is good for breaking up combos. i find when in a tough situation you only need to pluck 1 pikmin and then use it to get some attacks in, once you've distanced your self then try for a few more, but it almost takes no time to just pluck one.
Ah, that makes sense, I haven't tried the "pluck one" method. Or pluck at least two for the Dsmash.

eaglith

Smash Rookie
Picking them takes almost no time, so even just picking two as they approch you won't be a problem. Two is best for me, because down smash and forward smash is good for getting them away.

Top Bottom