• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need Kirby Help and Suggestions (Video Inside!)

Red.Tide

Smash Cadet
Well, I'm hardly t!mmy or h1roshi, but I can offer some advice.

Aerials - you know how to use fair and uair very well. I was impressed by your (almost) wall of pain using your fair - that's very hard to do! However, when edge guarding, your best bet is dair or bair. Dair will spike if you hit them with the tip. Bair comes out quickly and is powerful. Since Kirby can turn around in midair with every jump, you'll have to practice floating towards the opponent while facing away from them, so you can do your bair. So if you're off the left side of the stage, jump while facing right, then hold left, then let go of left and jump again, and so on. It takes a bit of getting used to but it shouldn't be so hard.

Tilts- I didn't see you using your tilts much. They come out quickly. Utilt is good for juggling at low percentages, try using it then jumping and doing an aerial, probably a bair. Dtilt is very low down, and has little ending lag, so it can be used to hit through someonés shield. Better yet, it often trips people. If they trip, you have a sure hit on a forward smash.

Grabs- shield grab more! Also, if you grab when they are at 0%, you can do some sick combos with Kirby's forward throw. Search 'Kirby Code Blue' on youtube for more info about that. For instance, forward throw to midair hammer almost always connects at 0%.

Kirbycide- if you've taken much more damage than the opponent, and you have more than one stock left, suck them up when you're in midair and let yourself fall off the bottom of the stage. Right around 0:55 would have been a good time to do this. Or, if you're awesome, you can spit them out under the stage, turn around in midair, and bair them, which will cause them to bounce off the stage and fall (I can do just about everything there is with Kirby, except this).

Hammer- kirby's hammer is really powerful now, and you should use it more often as a midair option. In midair, it comes out more quickly than on the ground, and its two swings last longer. You have more mobility, and it has little lag if you land on the ground while using it. It also cancels the rest of your jump, so it can be used low down to the ground.

Approaching- you seemed to have a little trouble getting close to Rob without him hitting you. Some options are short hopping an aerial hammer, which has a lot of range, up b, which is surprisingly useful, and maybe even kirby's dash attack, once in a while. Or, you can run up to them and block, hoping to shield grab.

If you already do some of this stuff, sorry. I just went by what you did on that one video.

Mike_Echoes

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I kinda rushed a bit, because it was the only vid of us under 3 mins, the others were like 3:20 and stuff. I will DEF try out some of these tactics next time.

Thanks!

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman
Practice short jumping a bit more. Kirby's attacks arent long range enough that you can jump so high and not be predictable to your opponent(I think i worded that right :|).

OldManTellah

Smash Cadet
I left my feedback on the video, but in case you don't check that I'll put it here, too.

It looks like for the first 40 seconds Kirby only used the c stick. Might wanna get a little variety in there. Maybe change the controls so c stick doesn't work for smashes until you break yourself of the habit. I would suggest dthrow for damage because when you used fthrow his damage was too high and you couldn't combo from it due to the increased knockback.

ky72x

Smash Apprentice
I'd say use your down-b (stone attack) more often, since it is a pretty powerful move. While it isn't exactly the fastest attack, it's good to use when you get launched up in the air at higher damage levels. This way, you'll come crashing down, possibly hitting enemies, instead of getting hit again.

LittlePuffball

Smash Rookie
Well, I'm hardly t!mmy or h1roshi, but I can offer some advice.

Aerials - you know how to use fair and uair very well. I was impressed by your (almost) wall of pain using your fair - that's very hard to do! However, when edge guarding, your best bet is dair or bair. Dair will spike if you hit them with the tip. Bair comes out quickly and is powerful. Since Kirby can turn around in midair with every jump, you'll have to practice floating towards the opponent while facing away from them, so you can do your bair. So if you're off the left side of the stage, jump while facing right, then hold left, then let go of left and jump again, and so on. It takes a bit of getting used to but it shouldn't be so hard.

Tilts- I didn't see you using your tilts much. They come out quickly. Utilt is good for juggling at low percentages, try using it then jumping and doing an aerial, probably a bair. Dtilt is very low down, and has little ending lag, so it can be used to hit through someonés shield. Better yet, it often trips people. If they trip, you have a sure hit on a forward smash.

Grabs- shield grab more! Also, if you grab when they are at 0%, you can do some sick combos with Kirby's forward throw. Search 'Kirby Code Blue' on youtube for more info about that. For instance, forward throw to midair hammer almost always connects at 0%.

Kirbycide- if you've taken much more damage than the opponent, and you have more than one stock left, suck them up when you're in midair and let yourself fall off the bottom of the stage. Right around 0:55 would have been a good time to do this. Or, if you're awesome, you can spit them out under the stage, turn around in midair, and bair them, which will cause them to bounce off the stage and fall (I can do just about everything there is with Kirby, except this).

Hammer- kirby's hammer is really powerful now, and you should use it more often as a midair option. In midair, it comes out more quickly than on the ground, and its two swings last longer. You have more mobility, and it has little lag if you land on the ground while using it. It also cancels the rest of your jump, so it can be used low down to the ground.

Approaching- you seemed to have a little trouble getting close to Rob without him hitting you. Some options are short hopping an aerial hammer, which has a lot of range, up b, which is surprisingly useful, and maybe even kirby's dash attack, once in a while. Or, you can run up to them and block, hoping to shield grab.
Just what i was thinking, especially the shield grabbing and approaching, the final cutter does wonders for me. I SH not just the hammer for approaching and another use for the hammer(got this from T!mmy) is to recover. I've tried this and it works real well because it the other person will have more trouble KO'ing you and you don't lose any of your jumps

DarKirby92

Smash Cadet
if u need any practice with a fellow Kirby that is not a CPU, PM me, i'll be happy to just about any time.

Top Bottom