• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need helping breaking the Marth fsmash habit

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
I have a problem a lot of the time (%98 of the time) i Fsmash and it's all i do and i know it's not good is there a way i can break the habit? I try doing combos and other things but when they don't succeed i start fsmashing and i end up losing.

SSS

Smash Ace
I have a problem a lot of the time (%98 of the time) i Fsmash and it's all i do and i know it's not good is there a way i can break the habit? I try doing combos and other things but when they don't succeed i start fsmashing and i end up losing.
every time you forward smash when you shouldn't jump off the edge and kill yourself

also you could be like me and have a rubber band on your wrist that you snap every time you **** up to punish yourself so you don't do it again

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
every time you forward smash when you shouldn't jump off the edge and kill yourself

also you could be like me and have a rubber band on your wrist that you snap every time you **** up to punish yourself so you don't do it again
Ok cool thanks i'll try doing this, It's really bad and i don't want to do it any more it leaves me to predicable.

Last edited:

NonSequtur

Smash Cadet
Try playing some games without:
a) using the c-stick
b) using grounded moves (that aren't grabs)

Wouldn't fly in serious play, but it helped me stop emphasizing the f-smash.

Animage

Smash Cadet
Just try playing without using fsmash AT ALL
it'll force you to start learning how to properly use all your other moves
At high level, most marth mains will only use fsmash as combo finishers anyway
It's a move you could easily do without

ObdurateMARio

Smash Apprentice
F smash should be used in a couple situations.
1) after a low % grab. Generally, most characters at 0% can be combo'd by fthrow -> fsmash. If they're DIing towards you after the fthrow, you can land it at higher %. Anybody good won't though.
2) As a punish. When an opponent overcommits and leaves themselves wide open. This is mostly applicable at kill %, as Utilt would be generally preferable, as it's combo starting potential is much higher
3) As an edgeguard (vs certain characters). This is pretty self explanatory, but the "'06 edgeguard" can be very effective against multiple (not all) characters. (I know 06 edgeguard generally refers to shieldbreaker, but chucking fsmash in there works as far as im concerned)

Instead of trying to make yourself not use fsmash, one of Marth's better tools, train yourself to use it in the appropriate ways. This will not only help you get better at not just chucking 'em out there, but it will also help your overall game in general.

Jolly Himawari

Smash Rookie
If possible, play against someone who has a good enough punish game to avoid and punish your F-smash when you throw it out carelessly. After being unable to hit with it repeatedly, you'll get into the habit of looking for other ways to approach. Also, if you use the C-stick to F-smash, you could try re-binding the C-stick to special or shield or something so if you press the C-stick, you won't F-smash, and then bind C-stick back to smash once you get out of the habit.

Vandire

Smash Cadet
to the Original post, this is something I have been doing recently. I've soon since cleaned it up, but just a few weeks ago I was in the same position.

Try learning/looking up combos. Practice on AI if you have to. I try not to get smashes in till after 100%.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
There's nothing inherently wrong with fsmashing below 100%, especially since it can potentially kill below that point. You also sacrifice setups into fsmash by waiting that long, which limits the ease with which you can get a kill and forces you to rack up unnecessary damage if you don't get an edgeguard in before then. Poor usage of fsmash is generally typified by using it excessively in unsafe scenarios (random fsmashes in neutral) or using it in suboptimal situations where you should have followed with a different option to continue the string instead of going for a finisher.

Last edited:

ObdurateMARio

Smash Apprentice
Not using f smash until 100%+ is a horrible idea. Marth has literally no way to set up in to an fsmash in that range. Therefore, you have to go for those raw fsmashes that you're trying to get yourself not to do. Usually around 50-70% you should start trying to set up into f smash as a finish.

SSS

Smash Ace
Do what Squid does in Melee. He plays Falco and every once in awhile he enters a tournament and doesn't allow himself to laser, at all. He gets rekt but he learns a lot.

xNaught

Smash Rookie
Don't ban yourself from using the attack. A good way to utilize the f-smash is to practice killing people out of their tech with it. It takes a lot of spacing practice, but it's a good thing to get down.

Also practice Marth's other killing techniques. Spacies are easy to gimp with f-air, especially Falco. Dancing blade's third forward hit is a good mix-up, though punishable. The easiest way to get a kill with Marth sans f-smash would probably be a good Ken combo, or a u-tilt tipper with enough damage.

Mijah

Smash Rookie
You just have to consciously think before you make the decision to f-smash. If your opponent can react, assume that they will, and that it is a poor decision to commit when you have other options at your disposal.

Top Bottom