• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need Help

agiM

Smash Rookie
Been lurking here for a little while and finally making a post.
Anyways I'm at a bit of a hiatus playing Melee. I've been playing for a little bit more than a year and I don't see myself improving at all. I stick to my bad habits and just cannot stop doing them no matter how hard I try (Constantly rolling, approaching with Nair is a big one, Punishing smash attacks while they're being charged)
I think I need to replace these habits with good ones but I just can't. I find myself losing to people who have a lot less experience than me and I have trouble punishing. Sorry if this is too vague but I need help getting my mind to stop these habits.

Wafflesaurus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wafflesaurus
That IS really vague.
How do you practice? Is your problem a mentality or motivation thing (concentrating on short term goals, like winning a random friendly, instead of medium to long term goals like improving and becoming consistent)? Do you REALLY try to incorporate new things intro your gameplay? Do you know why the options you choose are bad? Do you have 20XX and do you use it in manners that help improve your gameplay? Do you have a defined main or do you play many characters, diluting your effort? How often do you play with other people? Etc etc etc
There's a lot of guides that could help you and you should probably give them a read
Umbreon's:
http://smashboards.com/threads/drastic-improvement.311129/
Sleepyk's:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_6o5NHvI9P8-qHp2M8w1gDzL_-JNonEE81Mh4ulY1PY/edit
Give both a read and really take in all they say.
Don't worry, it's normal to get stuck sometimes, the good things is that you are actually trying to get out of that situation. Thinking and discussing melee can go a long way in helping you improve (also analyzing your videos)

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Practice wd oos in shield stun situations

Practice dashing immediately out of stun

Make sure your DD jc grab game is crisp

Abuse tipper fair and tipper dtilt.

Don't try to win per se, seriously practice wd oos in situations where you think you'll get hit. You'll soon find out how great it is. It's amazing what you can do when you're reacting a few frames earlier out of move lag/stun.

Last edited:

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Back when I had a bunch of bad habits to break, I had to force myself to not do them. For example, when I first got interested in the competitive scene, rolling and fsmashing were my two best friends. I still roll a bit too much imo, but after a certain point I realized how much I was rolling. I'd heard that DD/WD were excellent alternatives to rolling, so I started using those. If you notice yourself doing something you know isn't bad, stop it. I have literally stopped using Counter altogether because I got punished for it so much. If you can go to tourneys regularly, find somebody who you know is better than you, but maybe not too much, and try to beat them. That's how I improve: I find a new person to get better than and I get better than them.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Counter is still insanely good. The smarter the player, the more difficult it is to get the read (minus using it for edgeguarding), but it's a great arrow to have in your quiver.

Things seldom change; only the way you see them.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Well, I had to eliminate it cuz I would jump in with a counter, use it whenever I was in the air... Like 25 times per match

agiM

Smash Rookie
Thanks everyone for the help. I understand this was really vague but I understand this was a mentality thing I just couldn't get rid of my bad habits. Again, thank you all for the help. :)

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Well, I had to eliminate it cuz I would jump in with a counter, use it whenever I was in the air... Like 25 times per match
Well definitely use it against spacies' up-b when they're going to overshoot the ledge for the free edgeguard. In neutral, it can really help vs falco lasers when you absolutely know he's coming in, among other uses. As with any tactic though, get repetitive and get bodied. It's always best when they least expect it.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Yeah, I'll use it against an overshooting spacie, and that idea vs Falco is a good one. I had to get rid of it before I could start to implement it, though

Top Bottom