• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

need help

stealth3654

Smash Lord
I played in a tourny today and got knocked out by an Ike and a DDD. So I was wondering if you guys could give me advice on these characters. :chuckle:

The Ike always shorthops and either nair or fair, then follow up with a jab. He also kept shielding my needles, so they were no help.

The DDD was really defensive and also rendered my needles useless. Then he just throws me off the ledge then edge guard me. I tried using zelda against him, but it still didn't work. He was always too close for me to use my din's fire and too far for me to attack him.

Semmick

Smash Journeyman
Ah Ike, one of my favorite matchups. The Tilt lock is pretty effective against him because he has fairly high weight. His Fair has a bit of start up lag which you can take advantage of. If you do a running shield(forgot the technical name atm) and just grab him, you can probably get a few combos off of the throw. Ike has an easily gimped recovery, so if you can possibly just take him off the stage with Fair, and edgehog him, hes pretty much done for.

I'll get to the D3 part when I can.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Vs. Ike: If he Fairs, you should easily be able to shield-grab or shield-drop to jab/tilt/dsmash before he can jab. If he nairs, this is not a possibility. However, the nair is much shorter-ranged, meaning you can often shield the hit and grab/hit Ike before he hits the ground. If this fails, shield the first and possibly second hit of the Jab combo and hit/grab him before the third (or jab before he cancels to the grab, but that's a little trickier).
And jabs and tilts lead to tilt locks lead to massive damage.

Vs. DDD: You can escape his chaingrab by tech-rolling away and jabbing/dsmashing if he tries to continue. Great mobility allows the avoidance of the Waddle Dees and such. Ftilt and jab then become his primary threats. Either can be rolled past and punished badly.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
Yeah, i tried these techniques, but the people I played against were pros. I don't know if you know their names but they were Reflex and Desu!. They always seem to be able to block my attacks and sidestep when i try to grab.

And for shield grabbing Ike's jab, I can't do that. Instead of using the final hit, he grabs me instead. Then he throws me off the ledge and edgeguards with his fair.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If you were playing Reflex's Ike and Desu's Dedede, then you were pretty much ****ed, lol. You were outplayed, pure and simple.

Top Bottom