• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help with shining on platforms!

BDC0409

Smash Rookie
Every time I try to shine on a platform I fall through. Am I missing something or is it truly this hard? Any advice is appreciated.

Frenzy231199

Smash Cadet
So to my knowledge there are a few ways to get around this: you can tilt down instead of pressing down fully when you input a shine, then you will crouch instead of fall through the platform, You can also hold down whilst doing an aerial or attack on a platform and then you will crouch as soon as possible so you can input a shine as normal.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Every time I try to shine on a platform I fall through. Am I missing something or is it truly this hard? Any advice is appreciated.
The issue you're encountering is that the game thinks "oh, the player held down, so s/he wants to fall through the plat." So you're actually shining just below the platform, so when you go to waveshine on a plat, the input sequence has to be way tighter. Workarounds were explained above.

Krazy Squirtle

Smash Rookie
NNID
falcousacombo
The issue you're encountering is that the game thinks "oh, the player held down, so s/he wants to fall through the plat." So you're actually shining just below the platform, so when you go to waveshine on a plat, the input sequence has to be way tighter. Workarounds were explained above.[/QUOT
You need to slightly hold down. Then follow through with the rest of the inputs.

CP Adagio

Smash Cadet
Yeah dude just get in the habit of tilting down when you shine on plats. Feels awkward at first but it becomes second nature in no time.

LeadRod

Smash Apprentice
NNID
420B-LAZE-IT!!
Just as an addition to the above you can buffer (or "hold the input for", which is what the guys above are talking about) crouch for not just ariels but also tilts or any attack really. The one with the strictest timing Ive found is jab, most likely bc off the short animation. Practically speaking, hold down on the analog stick before the animation of your attack ends and you will have buffered a crouch for the first available frame. The most common buffer Ive found is when wavelanding onto a platform you continue to hold the down input for the "land" part of the waveland. Hope it helps!

Audos

Smash Apprentice
Falling though isn't always a problem, so if you specifically want to waveshine you can also just airdodge way earlier than usual. But if you are trying to shine them on a plat you either need to tilt the stick slower, or buffer the down input at any point you can't fall through (after you hit an ariel, as you land on the platfor and are in that landing squat animation). Generally speaking you can get around this issue with a huge variety of ways, it really depends on what you were doing before you wanted to shine.

Top Bottom