• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need Help With Foxtrot Canceling

OshaHott

Smash Cadet
Okay, I'm new to FTC, and it has COMPLETELY changed the way I look at Smash Wii U. But, how do you get the timing with certain characters!? Mostly my main, Shulk. And also Fox. Is it even doable with them? If so, is it even useful? I appreciate any feedback!

YoshiYoshi

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I'm new to FTC, and it has COMPLETELY changed the way I look at Smash Wii U. But, how do you get the timing with certain characters!? Mostly my main, Shulk. And also Fox. Is it even doable with them? If so, is it even useful? I appreciate any feedback!
Every character has a different sweet-spot for foxtrot canceling. It just takes practice. It's more important to know when initial dash ends than to be able to foxtrot it over and over.

Use your initial trot wisely. A foxtrot can either be short or long - get used to the difference in initiating either. Most situations that I foxtrot or foxtrot cancels are for quick turn-arounds. Ex. Dash away avoiding attack, trot back and dash attack. Foxtrot in place (short dash dance) can be good for mindgames/mixups.

However, it's not a great idea to foxtrot all over the stage for no reason. Since you can't shield during your initial dash animation, the foxtrot-all-over-the-stage is one of the most vulnerable forms of movement in the game. A lot of times on For Glory you'll see Marths running around exclusively with foxtrots and you'll know that guy just watched Ken's Melee Marth tutorial and are thus foxtrotting all over the place. This is the wrong way to do it.

So for the most part you'll be using foxtrot cancels to avoid the sliding animation when you try to turn around while running. But that sliding animation is actually good for RAR so don't avoid it like the plauge.

Last edited:

OshaHott

Smash Cadet
Every character has a different sweet-spot for foxtrot canceling. It just takes practice. It's more important to know when initial dash ends than to be able to foxtrot it over and over.

Use your initial trot wisely. A foxtrot can either be short or long - get used to the difference in initiating either. Most situations that I foxtrot or foxtrot cancels are for quick turn-arounds. Ex. Dash away avoiding attack, trot back and dash attack. Foxtrot in place (short dash dance) can be good for mindgames/mixups.

However, it's not a great idea to foxtrot all over the stage for no reason. Since you can't shield during your initial dash animation, the foxtrot-all-over-the-stage is one of the most vulnerable forms of movement in the game. A lot of times on For Glory you'll see Marths running around exclusively with foxtrots and you'll know that guy just watched Ken's Melee Marth tutorial and are thus foxtrotting all over the place. This is the wrong way to do it.

So for the most part you'll be using foxtrot cancels to avoid the sliding animation when you try to turn around while running. But that sliding animation is actually good for RAR so don't avoid it like the plauge.
Lol thanks! Do you think that there may be some characters that FTC won't help much? Anyways, I guess I just need to practice more with Fox/Shulk! Thanks!

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
:4falcon::4ganondorf::4littlemac:

These are the three easiest characters to FTC with. You literally just have to tap with them.

:4bayonetta::4samus::4rob:

The three hardest I've faced with in FTC.

Last edited:

OshaHott

Smash Cadet
:4falcon::4ganondorf::4littlemac:

These are the three easiest characters to FTC with. You literally just have to tap with them.

:4bayonetta::4samus::4rob:

The three hardest I've faced with in FTC.
I've literally gotten within the first few minutes of trying with Captain Falcon and Roy (I started with Roy!) and also WFT (surprisingly). But I'm having trouble with Shulk and Corrin. Dang, why does everyone have to have different timings on their FTC!? Thank You, Sakurai! Lol.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Well, all you have to figure out is just the timing of the characters best. What you could do could be trying to shield out of the initial dash, find out when the shield comes up and then find the pattern, then finish it up.

Finding a pattern is the easiest way to do it.

OshaHott

Smash Cadet
Well, all you have to figure out is just the timing of the characters best. What you could do could be trying to shield out of the initial dash, find out when the shield comes up and then find the pattern, then finish it up.

Finding a pattern is the easiest way to do it.
Thank you! Now off to the lab I go!

Riggen

Smash Cadet
NNID
15243BDRAE
3DS FC
1607-3148-7902
Well... I Main :4marth::4lucina: So I Could Give You Help Using Those Characters... Tough I Would Recommend Using :4shulk: Cause That's The Char I'm Experimenting With Right Now

Right Now It's Seeming A Short Hop To Nair Is Gud... Also Short Hop To Counter

Back Slash For Offensive

Roll Is Gud Aswell

If You Foxtrot Then Hold A Bit Then You Can Auto-Shield It And Spot Dodge

If You Foxtrot Away When There Coming For You A Short Hop To Reverse Back Slash Is Gud

A Jump To Air Dodge Is Quite Good For Defense

So Try These Combo's For The Above

:GCR::GCN::GCR::GCN::GCX::GCL::GCB:
:GCR::GCN::GCR::GCRT::GCL:
:GCR::GCN::GCR::GCRT:
:GCR::GCN::GCR::GCRT::GCD:
:GCR::GCN::GCR::GCRT::GCR:
:GCR::GCN::GCR::GCN::GCX::GCA:
:GCR::GCN::GCR::GCN::GCX::GCR::GCA:
:GCR::GCN::GCR::GCN::GCX::GCL::GCA:
:GCR::GCN::GCR::GCN::GCX::GCD::GCA:
:GCR::GCN::GCR::GCB:
:GCR::GCN::GCR::GCN::GCX::GCRT:

Sorry I Took Up So Much Space... I Just Experimented A Bit

I Hope I Helped You :happysheep:

OshaHott

Smash Cadet
Well... I Main :4marth::4lucina: So I Could Give You Help Using Those Characters... Tough I Would Recommend Using :4shulk: Cause That's The Char I'm Experimenting With Right Now

Right Now It's Seeming A Short Hop To Nair Is Gud... Also Short Hop To Counter

Back Slash For Offensive

Roll Is Gud Aswell

If You Foxtrot Then Hold A Bit Then You Can Auto-Shield It And Spot Dodge

If You Foxtrot Away When There Coming For You A Short Hop To Reverse Back Slash Is Gud

A Jump To Air Dodge Is Quite Good For Defense

So Try These Combo's For The Above

:GCR::GCN::GCR::GCN::GCX::GCL::GCB:
:GCR::GCN::GCR::GCRT::GCL:
:GCR::GCN::GCR::GCRT:
:GCR::GCN::GCR::GCRT::GCD:
:GCR::GCN::GCR::GCRT::GCR:
:GCR::GCN::GCR::GCN::GCX::GCA:
:GCR::GCN::GCR::GCN::GCX::GCR::GCA:
:GCR::GCN::GCR::GCN::GCX::GCL::GCA:
:GCR::GCN::GCR::GCN::GCX::GCD::GCA:
:GCR::GCN::GCR::GCB:
:GCR::GCN::GCR::GCN::GCX::GCRT:

Sorry I Took Up So Much Space... I Just Experimented A Bit

I Hope I Helped You :happysheep:
Yes you did! Of course though, I've mained Shulk ever since the 3DS version came out, but foxtrotting and ftcing with Shulk has some odd timing!

Riggen

Smash Cadet
NNID
15243BDRAE
3DS FC
1607-3148-7902
Always Happy To Help! If You Still Have The 3DS Version I Could Spar With You

Top Bottom