• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help with FF8 loading problems.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Spoiler alert: There will be spoilers trying to explain my problem:

--------

So I'm trying to play FF8, and I'm in the part where Squall barely becomes a SeeD in disc 1, and you go to the train and pass out and have a weird dream where you control other people.

While using them, after like three screens, it stops loading it. It gets stuck in a black screen with the music playing, and I can't get past that part because it won't ever load.

What the heck is wrong with it, the game is almost perfectly unscratched. Me wants to get past that part.

:(

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hmmm.... That almost certainly sounds like a disk scratch. You might just be really unlucky if there aren't any noticeable scratches on the disk. Sometimes just a small one will get it in the wrong place.

Try getting your hands on a friend's disk, and see if that works. Or try your disk and save file in someone else's Playstation.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Alright. So basically just try with other disks and other systems?

I forgot to mention, this is happening to my FF7 as well, in the part where you get to Kalm.

It is so freaking frustrating, when I love the games so much and can't get past a part like that because of CD fail.

The games hardly look scratched at all, I even bought a CD-repair thing that costed like 4 or 5 dollars and fixed it, didn't work.

:/

Sensai

Smash Master
You could try creating an .iso of the disc...I know that that helps on DVDs, so it might help with videogames too.

[Edit:]

Ack! That's assuming you're doing this through a PSX emulator. If you're playing the actual FF8 for the computer, it's still worth a shot but you're going to need something to mount the image file as well.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
In that case, it's probably your PS2 that's being faulty. Probably not much you can do about it. Maybe buy a can of compressed air, and give it a good dusting. But even that's unlikely to fix it.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
I have an extra PS2, but it is probably in even worse conditions. Today I will try it and let you know if I was successful.

I really just want to get past that part, I love the game way too much.

Sensai

Smash Master
You're not supposed to talk of ROMs on the forums. Emulators are perfectly legitimate, as this situation comes up a LOT more than you would think.

For example: my PSX is at my home, ~3 hours away. I use an emulator to play FF7-9, along with Tactics. It's easier to carry the discs around than my PSX.

Now I might be crossing the line: am I able to link to the emulator? I know not to link to ROMs...but emulators are legit and he's even provided a reason. If this is against the rules, feel free to take it down or tell me and I'll take it down.

http://www.epsxe.com/download.php

This is the emulator I use and it works almost flawlessly. Highly recommended.

Top Bottom