• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help with computer performance

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Im still new to learning about computers and i need help. I have an intel inside celeron gateway pc tower that is designed for windows xp and a ctx monitor. I also have fast dsl but ever since i downloaded the windows service pack 2, my computer reacts slow, when i start my computer and click firefox, it takes about 20 to show up, also if i have about 3 programs running, it freezes and i have to wait till it unfreezes, and if it helps, the cpu usage, when i open one program such as firefox, the cpu usage is at about 20-30%. Is there anyway to make my computer perform faster or better than what i have right now?

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, if you're JUST upgrading to XP SP2, there's a good chance you're computer has a nice helping of viruses. Unless you're talking about Vista SP2. I didn't even think that was out yet.

The first thing you can do is go to Start, then Run, then type "msconfig" (no quotes).

Then go to the tab on the right that says startup. What you see there is a list of programs that are starting every time your computer boots. Chances are, everything will be checked. Just uncheck every box and restart your computer.

Now download an antivirus program. AVG is a good one, and free too.

Also, is your hard drive super-full? Performance will drop substantially if your hard disk is very full.

I would also recommend manually ensuring all your hardware (especially video card) has the latest drivers. Drivers might have gotten messed up in the update.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I have XP2 for about 2-3 months now, I think unchecking the programs may have made the computer slower since when i log in, it takes 20 seconds, yes, i did have viruses, about 11 trojans, 2 spyware and about 30-40 tracking cookies, actually my hardware has room, it has 18 GBs and i have 12 GBs free.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yea, I'd say those viruses are going to be your biggest concern right now. And not just about gaming.

They're stealing your passwords. And the passwords of anyone using your computer. I'd recommend changing every password that you've ever entered into that computer.

Oh, and you should probably download XP Service Pack 3 also!

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Yea, I'd say those viruses are going to be your biggest concern right now. And not just about gaming.

They're stealing your passwords. And the passwords of anyone using your computer. I'd recommend changing every password that you've ever entered into that computer.

Oh, and you should probably download XP Service Pack 3 also!
ok, ill make sure to get rid of them, thanks F4, oh and the last time i download XPS Pack 3, it made my computer way slower, but i think i need more ram, thats what my friend who owned the computer before me told me

Top Bottom