• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help with Bomb Sliding

Bouse

Smash Ace
I've been working on incorporating bomb sliding seen in this video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=si5wKRR-5_c&feature=related

I was wondering: Does anyone knew the difference in the timings between the forward thrown bomb slide (seen throughout) and the up thrown bomb slide (25 seconds in)?

I've actually found the forward thrown to be quite useful in setting up combos at low %'s. For example:

Bomb Slide-->Grab (hit once bomb goes off they move slightly back)-->Jab Canceled Grab or Fsmash

Generally the bomb slide into grab is useful I'd say 7 times out of 10, and is actually not a bad approach. The issue I'm having is that randomly when I'm approaching someone I throw the bomb upwards, which isn't necessarily a bad thing (How can your opponent expect something when even you don't expect it?), but generally leaves them open to spot dodge since you don't have the bomb hitting first. Granted you can always go into a jab canceled grab afterward and bthrow them into the falling bomb, but I'd prefer to be able to do the throw I need at the time I want to instead of relying on my opponents to assume I'm competent and that being their mistake.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
I also have this problem and i'm trying to learn the timing for the upwards throw( i usually dac when my opponent is airborne)

Aurashade

Smash Ace
THE HALL OF FAME WHERE THE COOL PEOPLE GO
I had this problem at first, because I was using a projectile, but wheat I found to be really easy (I use the virtual console controller btw) was setting L to attack, and the C-stick to attack, then I just dashed attacked with L and used the C-stick to preform the glitch trick of sliding. It's complicated at first but helps a tad in those serious matches.

Bouse

Smash Ace
Yeah I have R set to attack (GCN) my grab is on X but basically it just randomly decides to go, "YOU THROW UP NOW! YOU HAS NO SAY!"

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
i have everything on standard except for X which i use for specials so i can SHDA with my tlink( i use Y to jump)

Bouse

Smash Ace
I think it boils down to this.

The closely timed DAC (small space between dash+upsmash) will toss the bomb up, however the further away the more likely it is you will see the forward throw.

D

Deleted member

I think it boils down to this.

The closely timed DAC (small space between dash+upsmash) will toss the bomb up, however the further away the more likely it is you will see the forward throw.
if you time it too fast you'll jump cancel a down thrown bomb, thus blowing yourself up

i'm pretty sure this is how it goes

There are 2 stages of the DAC, one stage will make you slide farther, the other will make you slide 3/4's of the "true DAC"

True DAC - up throw
False DAC - pseudo glide toss

now we just need to learn the frames on which you have to perform the dac to get the true and false DAC's

Bouse

Smash Ace
Arkive, the way I've found to consistently do the up throw is to basically press your c-stick+attack/throw button at about the same time. You have to make sure you're in a dash though.

Crow!

Smash Lord
Here's my analysis:

The beginning of the Dash Item Throw animation is interruptible very similarly to the beginning of the Dash Attack animation is - I wouldn't be surprised if the exact same code is responsible for both effects. However, reverse grab and forward grab, both interruption options of Dash Attack, seem to do nothing.

The catch is this: the timeframe you have to interrupt the throw CONTAINS the frame at which the bomb leaves your hand from the forward throw. Thus whether you input up-throw before or after this happens dictates several things:

1. If you still have the bomb in hand, you throw it up instead of forward. If you don't, you'll do the "throw up" animation anyway, but it won't do anything. It is less laggy than the Dash Item Throw, so you have accomplished something even if you whiff the up throw.

2. Link's momentum reduces between the initial forward throw to the post-throw wind-down, and like the standard DAC, whatever your current momentum is gets locked in once you start the up-throw animation. Thus a successful up throw will send you notably further than a failed up-throw.

3. With regards to the ordinary DAC, since there's no obvious special frame within the interruptible timeframe, I don't think any fundamental split between types will occur there, only the (rather smooth) curve of DAC starting time versus DAC sliding distance/speed.

So basically, what ArkiveZero said.

BTW: you can throw bombs down during the beginning of the sliding animation, as indicated in that guide I keep dropping links to. Thus if you press up before you press C-Down, you'll blow yourself up even if you have tap jump off - no jump canceling necessary.

Curiously, if you are slow in your C-Sticking, you'll be blown up a tenth of a second later than usual okay because the end of the sliding animation does not permit you to throw with an Attack command ("win a Darwin award" will be buffered). You CAN throw with the Grab command during the end of the sliding animation, however, and it will happen instantly.

Top Bottom