• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help wavedashing to ledge from a short distance

JackSSB

Smash Cadet
I'm able to wavedash to ledge from about a little less than the distance of Marth's full wavedash, and when I'm very close the ledge I usually just short hop and fast fall to hold it. Any tips on wavedashing to the ledge when you're very close to it? For some reason I usually just wavedash right over it. Do I need to fast fall or something?

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
ive had this issue but never looked into it. id probably just jump onto it. maybe holding towards the stage would help?

trusty

Smash Apprentice
I normally hold it very far down toward the edge. That way you end up avoiding the infamous "air dodge off the edge"

Xyzz

Smash Champion
a) If you hold down when you are next to the ledge you won't grab it but instead pass by it.
b) It might be necessary to do smaller wavedashes (e.g. go further to down, as opposed to away on the control stick. Obviously still enough 'away' to get something that isn't a wavedash in place). That is because else you might be too far away to grab the legde. Not sure whether that is the case for Marth; while his wave dash is quite lengthy his arms are really long as well (:
c) I think the timing is more strict when close to the ledge. It's still a wave dash if you spend a frame airdodging through the air and land on the next one ((although one with less reach), but if there isn't any stage left after the first frame the result probably isn't too healthy for most characters ;)

Last edited:

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
Either you're standing too close to the ledge, or you're holding down on the control stick as you fall through ledge grab range (which stops you from grabbing it). It's unlikely to be the former as you have to be extremely close to the ledge for you to fail to grab it; the only way I can consistently replicate it is by repeatedly rolling to the ledge, walking very slightly forwards, and then doing a long wavedash off.

You can be successful from very close to the ledge if you do a short wavedash; almost any spacing short of approximately where your character's feet overhang the ledge presents no significant risk of accidentally airdodging offstage, and guarantees you'll grab the ledge.

If you fastfall then you will always grab the ledge regardless of your spacing, so long as you don't hold down for too long. You should pretty much always fastfall anyway, as it's significantly faster and is trivial to execute consistently once you get used to it. See this thread for details: http://smashboards.com/threads/wavedash-ledge-grab-frame-data.404871/

Your sequence of actions should be:
• Wavedash
• Return the control stick to neutral
• Either just before or just after you leave the stage, hold down on the control stick to fastfall (the earliest possible fastfall input is the 2nd to last frame before leaving the stage; it buffers if you keep holding it)
• Fastfall for a little bit, then return the control stick to neutral so you can grab the ledge

Last edited:

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Another thing you've gotta be REALLY careful about is the Marth programming for the ledge. If you roll to the very edge of the stage and short hop in place, you fall down, no mercy. Make sure that you're actually ON the ledge and not at the edge of it. I've accidentally short hop/aerial dodge SD'd because of this unique feature.

NOTE: I'm only sure that this is how it is in FD. Test at your own risk for the other stages.

AirFair

Marth tho
You probably just need a more concise angle when you are wavedashing, since you might be using an angle that ends up killing you or passing the ledge.

Top Bottom