• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need Help Organizing a Brawl Tournament at my School

DeliciousOctorok

Smash Cadet
So the activities director at the college I go to wants to organize a Brawl tournament. She gathered a bunch of other people to discuss the organization of the tournament and we met just a few hours ago today. At the meeting, I tried suggesting we should play Melee because the game is faster and easier to handle considering time restraints, but everyone else suggested we play Brawl because everyone plays Brawl and it's easier to play, so we decided on playing Brawl for the tournament. Then we set up these rules:
  • Single Elimination
  • Best of 3 matches. Best of 5 for semifinals and finals.
  • 3 stock
  • 6 minute timer
  • Items are turned to off and none
  • Pause is disabled
  • All infinites and chain grabs are legal
  • All glitches that stall the game are illegal
  • If the time runs out and both players have the same amount of stocks, the winner is determined through Sudden Death
Here are the rules on how to play out a set:
  • Player priority is agreed on
  • Players are allowed to pick whichever character they want
  • The first stage is selected at random from the list of legal stages
  • After the first game, the winner can change characters but must change characters first. The loser may then counter-pick the winner's choice of character
  • The loser then picks the stage. The winner cannot ban a stage because of time restraints.
Here are the character rules:
  • A player may only choose a character three times throughout the first day of the tournament. The rule applies to final day but the counter is refreshed.
  • All characters are allowed. No player can ban a character from being used.
  • Both players can choose whichever character they like for the first game.
  • The winner of a game can change characters but must choose first. The loser will then have a choice to counter-pick.
Here are the stage rules:
  • The list of legal stages are
    • Final Destination
    • Battlefield
    • Smashville
    • Castle Siege
    • Lylat Cruise
    • Yoshi's Island
    • Pokemon Stadium
  • All other stages are banned. There are no counterpick stages.
  • For the first game of the set, the stage is selected at random. Then whoever loses any of the subsequent games gets to choose the stage.
Now, here are the logistics of the tournament:
  • The tournament will be ran from November 13th to November 15th
  • The tournament will run from 9 AM to 5 PM on November 13th and 14th, and will run from 12 PM to 3 or 4 PM on November 15th
  • For November 13th and 14th, there will be a max of 64 people participating for either day.
  • For either day, players can choose an hour of either day to play on
  • There will be a max of 8 people who will play for the hour.
  • The brackets are single elimination, the sets are 2 out of 3, and the winner of the hour will move on to November 15th.
  • For November 15th, there will be a maximum of 16 finalists who will face off each other in a single elimination bracket
  • For the semifinals and finals, the sets will be 3 out of 5.
  • The winner of the tournament will win a PS4. The lower placed winners will win various gift cards.
  • Only students with a valid student ID can enter the tournament.
So I think I got everything down here. Tbh, I actually agree with most of these rules, but the rule I have the most problem with is the Sudden Death rule. I told everyone that since it's Brawl people are going to play defensive and there will be a lot of time outs. Because Sudden Death can be random and unfair, I said we should determine the winner based on the stock and percentage advantage. I told them that not only will this be easier to handle, but it will also make the games go by quicker. For whatever reason they disagreed with me and said that this will only over complicate things, and since there are a lot of casual players who will enter the tournament, they don't want people being overwhelmed. How can I convince everyone that Sudden Death is a bad idea and that the idea of judging the winner by stock and percentage advantage is the best way to go?
Also, I really wanted to have this tournament Double Elimination, but considering the time restraints I guess there's not much I can do about it and I learned to just accept it.
So if there is anything super important I must change in the rule set, please let me know. I think my opinion on these rules will have a bigger impact on the tournament organizers if I can quote professional TOs about this.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
by "everyone plays brawl" she probably doesn't mean with a competitive ruleset. expect to get a lot of "aw man, no items?"

i wouldnt worry about convincing them about the SD thing. it really is a lot of rules to remember for people who are used to playing FFAs on port town aero dive with items on high as quad kirbies spamming stone. if ppl are interested in a competitive environment the SD rule probably isnt going to be what turns them away

Top Bottom