• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help on some matchups

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys I've been playing this game for a while now, started in 2002 quit in 2007 now I'm back for almost one year and I've been alternating between Peach and Young Link. Then not long ago I've tried Samus and fell in love because it's a perfect balance between the two characters I like to use. However I've been having trouble against Marth, Jigglypuff and Captain Falcon and I was wondering if you guys could help me with these match ups. Also besides Sheik is there any other characters I should watch out for?

Last edited:

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
Marth will wall you out, so it's best to time your approaches, and/or bait an approach and punish. You can do this with missile cancels. SHIELD IS YOUR FRIEND.
Jiggly puff is easier when you hold a charge shot, and since Puff is floaty af, charging one isn't too demanding. Also, puff that like to be in the air can be easily punished with a full charge shot. Just read carefully.
Captain Falcon kills floaties who stay above him, so make sure if you're above, to be patient and bomb down carefully, and reach a ledge preferably. Stay grounded if you can, UpB OoS is good in this match-up I believe.

Mattyboy

Smash Cadet
Ottawa has so much Samus now lmao

Also is there anything in particular about those matchups that give you trouble?

Last edited:

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
I have a hard time getting in against Marth, but I've been thinking maybe I should run away more but that gets me tippered and killed very early. I think that matchup is especially hard on yoshi's story. It's not horrible though, much more doable with samus than say Dr. Mario so I won't complain. Falcon I haven't played much yet but the little I've played I had no idea what to do and Jigglypuff I feel like she can evade most of my stuff and strike back afterwards. Ganon's been giving me a hard time today as well. Considering I just picked up this character I'm feeling pretty optimistic about her but a bit of advice wouldn't hurt. At least my tech skill and fundamentals are on point, I just need to know what I'm supposed to do in match up. Gonna go study some more Duck/Plup/Hugs vids in the meanwhile

Last edited:

Mattyboy

Smash Cadet
My opinion is that in most cases Samus shouldn't really be trying to "get in".

If you're getting tippered / puff is constantly evading your moves it's possible that spacing could be the issue. Samus doesn't have much that can actually beat out things such as Marth fsmashes and Jiggs bairs so you have to keep them at arms length while playing a reactive role. Not saying that Samus can't dictate the flow of the match (Duck/Plup/Hugs are all amazing at this), she just does so a little differently than most characters.
Hope this helped :p

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
I think you have a valid point, I'm good with my spacing offensively, but when it comes to spacing to evade stuff I'm garbage. Any ideas on how I could improve my defensive spacing?

Last edited:

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
Up-Air, imo, is a very underrated tool to space. It further makes it scary to be above you. Retreating bombs are also underestimated.

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
Well I've had loads of fun today with Samus and I don't know if I'll end up maining her, but she will definitively be one of my top 3 most used characters. Finding a main is a rough life

DopeSSBM

Smash Rookie
So I just came back from a tourney in Toronto (Melee night in Canada) and I main samus! Here's my speculation on Jigs, Falcon and Marth cause I played many today.

Lets start off with Jigs, Jigs can be a tricky match up IF you dont time your aerials properly, personally I found Nair out of shield works wonderssss also it helps that nair lasts so long, kinda like Luigi's but alot bigger. So what I did I do against jigs today? I spaced with my nair and spammed missiles, seemed to work really well for me. OH VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT bomb jump off stage for long periods of time! Jigs will just back air and recover like nothing! Trust me I fell for it way to many times today :(

Moving on to Falcon, personally I really struggle with this match up, reason being is that Falcon has a GREAT entry to samus that god like Nair of his. Hoenstly I'm not familiar enough with this match up unfortunately but this what I personally found effective:
Stay grounded (do not jump cause falcon will just uair - uair... KNEE)
And make the most of him being off stage cause it's fairly easy to edge guard a falcon using missiles and most importantly up titlt cause lemme tell you, up tilt works wonders when edge guarding

Okay soo moving on to Marth. So of all three characters previously mentioned this match up is probably his second best first being jigs and last being Falcon of course. Facing marth is alllllll about spacing and patience! A samus player in this match up wave dashing back and forth is a MUST cause not only does is throw off the opponent but it also creates spacing between you and marth which is great! In this match up Samus is primarily a punnisher, whether its (pretend marth throws a fair or nair) wave dash back and grab, WDB and F tilt, WDB and up tilt; It really is situational. Now a very very important part to this match up is gimping when Marth is trying to recover, missiles and up tilts are your best friends. It is very important you capitalize on off stage punnishes as Samus is very very good at it (especially against Marth).

I think that's all I have to say, this is my first post on Smash Boards :D

If i missed anything or you guys have anything add on please feel free to add to the post by commenting below. I Hope I was of help!

Last edited:

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
Up-Air, imo, is a very underrated tool to space. It further makes it scary to be above you. Retreating bombs are also underestimated.
God damn is retreating bomb my favorite option. It's something you would expect in a FFA with your friends (Items etc.) so some players don't even consider it. Then they run straight into that beautiful little orb.

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
I use a lot of buffer NAIR out of shield vs Falcon. If he's approaching to much just to stop his pressure. Of course up B too. But that's all I got I struggle against marth, I try to stay mobile and space f tilt. I also edge guard marth with run off NAIR if he has no jump. Don't rely on missiles to much, marth easily gets through.

Ringedge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ringedge
Jigglypuff: Get a charge shot, don't use bombs to recover, try to catch her out of stuff with up-tilt, u-air, and the charge shot you should always be carrying or trying to get. Puff Samus really isn't that bad, try not to go for grabs super often unless you are really confident they will connect, you will get rested. Even then, grabs won't get a whole lot. If ol'Jiggls misses a rest, Samus has SUPER strong punishes on her. Up-tilt -> charge shot or d-air -> charge shot is a lot of percent, and has kill potential!

Marth: This match-up sucks. Try to zone with missiles rather than trying to hit him. Up-tilt and f-tilt are pretty good, as well as CC d-smash. Up-tilt can lead into other stuff as well as down smash, f-tilt can make Marth step back a little bit. CC as much as possible in this match-up, don't get knocked into the air, you won't come back down.

Falcon: This match-up isn't too bad either, just try not to get kneed. If Falcon grabs you, they will probably try to d-throw into knee out of habit, you can DI away and f-air to catch him out of this. Edgeguarding Falcon is super free especially with Samus, just cover the options with missiles and tilts. Placing a bomb above the ledge then letting it drop down so it hits Falcon if he goes for the ledge then up-tilting him is really good. If you get a grab on a stage where you can follow up on platforms, go for d-airs into whatever you want to do. Don't d-tilt or d-smash his shield, he can jump out of it and knee you.

Valar Morghulis

Smash Rookie
Hey guys I've been playing this game for a while now, started in 2002 quit in 2007 now I'm back for almost one year and I've been alternating between Peach and Young Link. Then not long ago I've tried Samus and fell in love because it's a perfect balance between the two characters I like to use. However I've been having trouble against Marth, Jigglypuff and Captain Falcon and I was wondering if you guys could help me with these match ups. Also besides Sheik is there any other characters I should watch out for?
Against all of them you need charge shot powered up.

Against the Captain, DI away from DThrow. Do not approach him from above because his UAirs are high priority. Also, mix it up when he is on a ledge above you. Attack him with UAirs and UTilt, but be careful because he can DAir to Knee if you aren't careful and end up on the ledge with him. Try and pick stages like Yoshi's Story, Fountain and Battlefield.

Top Bottom