• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help on how to adapt to different playstyles and get the right mindset.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I've been maining Fox, Captain Falcon and Diddy Kong, 3 characters who are fairly offensive in this game and that i have tons of fun playing with. Most when i get to play against have a particular kind of playstyle where they usually stay near the ledge, waiting for me to do something, and when i try to apporach with pretty much anything, i just get punished. Trying to adapt to this playstlye, wich i see fairly often, i tend to not do anything, taunt, or just force them to come at me with lasers or something, and that usually seems to work better than me actively going for them. However this has given some bad habits it seems, since now i seem to shield a lot, roll constantly, and overall play a lot of hit and run, wich gets me grabbed or punished constantly against actually good players (not in For Glory) and overall kind of afraid to do combos and stuff, wich was how i used to play at first. So i must ask, what is a good way to learn how to adapt to this playstyles overall?, what has worked for you to get rid of bad habits and overall do good in a competitive enviroment?

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I've been maining Fox, Captain Falcon and Diddy Kong, 3 characters who are fairly offensive in this game and that i have tons of fun playing with.
Nice choices. :D
Most when i get to play against have a particular kind of playstyle where they usually stay near the ledge, waiting for me to do something, and when i try to apporach with pretty much anything, i just get punished.
[GRENINJA INTENSIFIES]
Trying to adapt to this playstyle, which i see fairly often, i tend to not do anything, taunt, or just force them to come at me with lasers or something, and that usually seems to work better than me actively going for them.
That's usually a good thing to do, bait THEM to YOU.
When you're playing Fox, use your reflector to your advantage as you slowly approach them (BUT DON'T GO TO CLOSE) to try and bait them to rush into you, shield-grab and let loose.
As Captain Falcon, try jumping towards your opponent then D-Jumping back, so your opponent tries to approach you, follow up with a punish.
As Diddy Kong, bait them with Jumping than firing Peanuts, or toss Bananas at them to force them to switch playstyles.
However this has given some bad habits it seems, since now i seem to shield a lot, roll constantly, and overall play a lot of hit and run,
Sounds like you're trying to play as Sonic or Little Mac, when you aren't. That's a pretty bad habit, especially when trying to play as Diddy Kong. (And yes, Mac is a great hit & run character)
which gets me grabbed or punished constantly against actually good players (not in For Glory) and overall kind of afraid to do combos and stuff,
Rules of Smash;
1) Study how they Punish, counter effectively.
2) NEVER BE AFRAID. Your opponent will start taking advantage and dashing to and fro trying to fake you out and punish you.
which was how i used to play at first. So i must ask, what is a good way to learn how to adapt to this playstyles overall?, what has worked for you to get rid of bad habits and overall do good in a competitive enviroment?
Study and Counter.
Hang around in Character Sub-Forums here, browse some Guides. Get learning, see what you're up against, try and counter. I don't even own the 3DS Game, but I do my research, and that is why I'm helping you today. :D

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Nice choices. :D

[GRENINJA INTENSIFIES]

That's usually a good thing to do, bait THEM to YOU.
When you're playing Fox, use your reflector to your advantage as you slowly approach them (BUT DON'T GO TO CLOSE) to try and bait them to rush into you, shield-grab and let loose.
As Captain Falcon, try jumping towards your opponent then D-Jumping back, so your opponent tries to approach you, follow up with a punish.
As Diddy Kong, bait them with Jumping than firing Peanuts, or toss Bananas at them to force them to switch playstyles.

Sounds like you're trying to play as Sonic or Little Mac, when you aren't. That's a pretty bad habit, especially when trying to play as Diddy Kong. (And yes, Mac is a great hit & run character)

Rules of Smash;
1) Study how they Punish, counter effectively.
2) NEVER BE AFRAID. Your opponent will start taking advantage and dashing to and fro trying to fake you out and punish you.

Study and Counter.
Hang around in Character Sub-Forums here, browse some Guides. Get learning, see what you're up against, try and counter. I don't even own the 3DS Game, but I do my research, and that is why I'm helping you today. :D
Thank you for the advice! One of the things i've noticed as well is that it's also a lot about reading my opponent, and since i'm technically new at the competitive scene (as in going to tournaments), this is usually something that i don't seem to get right, while they can read me like a 3rd grade textbook, well at least against good players. I do feel For Glory overall can become a place of learning bad habits, mainly for the lag, wich makes people play safer, so i'll try to avoid it. Anyway thanks for the advice, gonna try using that in the future.

Winter W. Winter

Smash Rookie
NNID
VenExio
3DS FC
1650-1446-7034
What I might suggest doing (which I should do as well) is to save replays and re watch them. Usually most players will have a certain pattern that they stick too. Figuring out their pattern's early on will help out greatly. Baiting will have to be the way to go for those campy characters especially if they are a zoning character. One thing is for sure, don't just keep attacking them. Shield grabs and camping are a pain, being patient is key.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
What I would do is rarely use attacks that have alot of lag (such as smash attacks and I only use those moves if I am almost guaranteed that the enemy has no other option) compared to others.

You want to bait them by using moves where your able to make a move after using a move lol OR use a move as a shield as you approach to the enemy (such as Ike's short hop + Fair depending on the type of character their using, so find good approach options for different characters.)

Try making the enemy think that his able to punish you. I think the term would be "Frametrap".

What I see usually in For Glory is players would dash attack me and I would just grab them after shielding.

An effective way to approach would be run up to them as if you intend to dash attack or attack, instead you run back a little wait for them to make a move, then dash attack or attack.

Did my best to explain lol.

Top Bottom