• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

need help on EdgeHogging/guarding with Sheik

CmRoddy

Smash Journeyman
i know that Sheik supposedly has amazing edgehogging and edgegaurding skills, but i have not been able to fully utilize this. i know that she can hang of the edge, edge hop to a bair... but is there anything else she can do that is useful? any tips and replies is greatly appreciated. thanks.

ShackDaddy

Smash Ace
if u can short hop fairs practice those to hit sweet spotters or wavedash off the stage backwards and to a Bair (it hits ppl trying to recover low). Her needles can really mess up some recoveries and u can often wait and use a foward or down tilt to knock them back in the air and hit them out again.

One time i ledge spiked a samus trying to grapple beam recover using sheiks running vanish to grab the ledge. The smoke hit samus right when she almost grabbed the ledge and she got bounced right off and straight down.

hrairoo

Smash Cadet
I've never been able to succesfully apply edgeguarding with needles. At what point in their recovery should the aerial needles be used, and how do you tell when it will work well?

WHO?AreYou

Smash Journeyman
Needles work best against fast-fallers, like the space animals. The whole thing about needles is they can get through most attacks (see samus's charged nova ball), so they can interupt a lot of character's recoveries.
Try it on someone playing a CF or Ganondorf. The needles in the air go at a 45 degree angle downwards, so try to hit them with the needles as they up-B to ge back on the stage. They'll spaz a bit and that'll make them drop. Shorthop-needling is pretty effective, just stand a little farther back from the edge and start pestering them. I find that after a few needles, they stop trying to sweetspot the edge, and get a bit sloppy. Then you can just Fair or Dsmash them right next to the edge when they poke their head above it.

ShackDaddy

Smash Ace
the needles can be used against almost anyone, if they are below u, jump in the air and throw neeldes (the angle should throw them down to mess them up) or u can stand and throw them while they are far away from the stage.

U just have to learn the angle at which the aerial needles go and u should be able to hit most people.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
Needles are great for edge guarding vs any character because they stun them long enough for you to run to the edge and edge hog or do some real edge guarding. I use it vs Marth all the time, then hurry and get to the ledge and kill him, or trade hits with a nair or something.

path411

Smash Cadet
I've never been able to succesfully apply edgeguarding with needles. At what point in their recovery should the aerial needles be used, and how do you tell when it will work well?
in most cases you want to hit them with a needle b4 they use their up+b because the needle allows them to up+b again if they have already used it.

on fastfalling space animals however it almost doesn't matter because of how fast they fall.

Zeee

Smash Journeyman
check out the DBR Shiek player
THAT UP B EDGEHOG OWNS!

Run off the edge
right before you slide off
Up B
Shiek should explode twice and grab the ledge.... while invinsible....

It made my pants go "hostess".

Giggidax

Smash Ace
the needles are good for edgeguarding, but also anotehr thing u can try is edgeguarding with the chain. lol it actually works some of the times and its quite an annoyance

Ares726

Smash Ace
First off, never edgeguard with the chain. You will be called a noob forever. The chain sucks. The only it's in the game is to keep Sheik from being broken (like Fox).

Secondly, Sheik's best edgeguard technique is the needle. They're very easy to use because they only have two trajectories. If the person is coming from below the stage, use aerial needles, and if they're coming even with the stage use ground needles. Ground needles go out parallel to the stage, aerial needles go down at 45 degrees. If you practice enough you'll eventually be able to know what height you need to be to hit them. Just think about where they'll be in space about half a second before they get there, and throw a needle at that spot.

Thirdly, Sheik's second best edgeguard is her aerials. You can jump out and fair/nair/bair. You can hang from the edge and edgehop nair/bair/fair. You can simply hang from the edge and edgehog if you want.

Fourthly, Sheik's third best edgeguard is her downsmash. Downsmash works really well against the illusion/phantasm, link/YL, and samus chains (if they don't sweetspotperfectly), and ganon/CF recoveries. If you roll all the way to the edge, Sheik's head hits under the stage.

And there you have it. The basics to edgeguard with Sheik. Almost every single move in her arsenal has great edgeguarding potentional. Learn how to use the needles, learn how to edgehop, and learn downsmash spacing. The vanish edgehog is really fun too. However, it's not as useful as the others because if you hit them with it and they don't get stage spiked, they can up-B again.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
thanks guys. the tips helped.

-CmR
It helps if you say which specific characters, but here's a short overview:

Fox / Falco: When you throw them off the stage, you have a lot of options. Basic Foxes will jump immediately. Predict it before hand and throw a needle. While they are recovering from that, you can fall down and fair them or hang on the edge and edge guard them from there. When they stop jumping into the needle, you can follow them off the stage and get them while they're firefoxing. Foxes fall into a very specific pattern when they Fox illusion; I can't exactly explain it, primarily because it's 6:21 AM, but you can feel it and simply dsmash them when they get on the stage. If you knocked them well off the stage with a fair or whatever, edge hog, and when they firefox or whatever, jump off the ledge and bair them if they're above you. If they're below you, edge hog them and make them get on the stage, and if you fair right inside the hand of the fair they will go behind you and likely die.

Marth: If he's below you, needle him to disrupt his momentum, then edge hog. Marths always try to sweetspot the ledge because their lag is ridiculous. If he's horizontal to you, depending how far away he is you can needle him, or go down in the middle of his forward b recovery and bair him. You can also interrupt his up b with a nair and trade hits with him, which will kill him.

C Falcon: Whatever you want to do. Needle, dsmash, fair. Edge hog to bair. If they're about to sweet spot the edge and you don't have enough time to edge hog, you can hurry up and run off and bair them before they hit the edge. No character is easier to edge hog than Falcon.

Peach: They love to fake you out and use the umbrella to go for the ledge. They also love to dodge your predicted bair. Just be patient. If they get to a certain point over you where they are obviously going to hit the stage, I ledge hop on the stage and wait for them to land and retaliate. Pretty difficult to edge guard Peach, though.

Sheik: Don't chase her unless you're going to pop her with the bair. Just wait for her to land on the stage, ledge hop on, grab her, and throw her off. I do this all the time because it's very easy to punish her lag. A lot of them will get tricky and up b straight up so they hit the edge when you ledge hop, so wait and make sure they are up bing on the stage -- you have plenty of time.

Banksya

Smash Ace
for cf and ganon you can roll to the edge so you are at the very tip of the ledge and dsmash and no matter what they get hit with it except if they come from above, in which case you should know to do something else.

also if you stand on the very tip of the edge and lightsheild vs marth that cause you to drop and get and edgehog kill.

Top Bottom