• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help immediately!

blahman179

Smash Cadet
The write protection lock on my SD card broke with the write protect on, and now I can't add anything to my Sd card.

I have it cracked open on that side to see if there's any way to unlock it, but I don't really know what to do.

Can anyone help?

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Put a thin piece of duct tape over the whole Write Protection slot. It should work.

blahman179

Smash Cadet
Lemme be a bit clearer, the whole slot mechanism snapped off.

If you mean just put tape over where the little switch used to be, how will that help?

Does the switch trip a connection or something to initiate the write/write protect mode?

Thanks for answering either way.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Confirming it'll work, happened to me and Scotch tape did the trick.

blahman179

Smash Cadet
WHAT IS THIS, I DON'T EVEN...

lol, thanks guys, I'll go try it

Edit: and of coarse, something that doesn't look like it works, DOESN'T WORK...

I mean really, how to people think this could work.

If there is a switch that triggers write protection, what's a flimsy little piece of tape gonna do?

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
The way I understand it, the little piece of plastic itself doesn't do anything to the SD card, it's the device you put it in that scans the card and checks to see if the plastic is in the unlocked position. So when you put the tape over the space, the SD reader/camera/whatever thinks it's in the unlocked position.

Picture:

How it's supposed to look. Obviously w/o the tab there though.
If you're positive you're doing it right etc. I wouldn't be surprised that you jacked it up when you "cracked open on that side to see if there's any way to unlock it."

eNomineZerum

Smash Rookie
As Ndayday saidm the placement is important. That piece that broke off doesn't have a 1 to 1 affect on the card. The reader (in this case the Wii or Computer) will see that position of that plastic and operate accordingly. Try the tape again and be careful in the placement. Duct tape is a bit sturdier so I would use that even if Scotch might work.

By the name of Zero

Top Bottom