• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

need help from you G&W mains

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
So i loved playing as game and watch in brawl. i might have played him in melee too, but i didn't unlocked him until much later on

anyway...my 2 go to characters have always been Link and Mr. Game and Watch.
not really so much because of their playstyles or abilities or anything...just because i thought they were really cool guys.
(link was like a total badass in my "little kid" mind and game and watch felt like a mysterious being from another dimension)

link feels just fine playing as him in smash 4, no complaints here.

game and watch on the other hand...idk...he is so much different than in brawl. i just can't seem to make anything happen.

I've read a few guides and watched some videos talking about things like grab follow-ups, how he is a good edge guarder, using his new wind-boxes to do whacky stuff, how his up-smash has a little invincibility at the start, etc. but i just can't seem to do anything with him. like...every move he does has a ton of end lag/landing lag...nothing feels safe on shield. he is not that quick, very light, not really that strong, has a ton of end lag on every move, and is hard to kill people at >150% unless you make a hard read or something. but their is no use complaining about the game since they probbaly won't ever do a major buff to Mr. G&W anyway.

so anyway...the point of all this is...maybe one of you really cool game and watch mains can straighten me out and show me how to use him...im not just talking posting "do this combo/here are some tips" (although those are helpful) im talking like add me on smash and we play together and tell me what im doing wrong here.

Thanks

pepi1197

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pepi1197
I'm by no means a great G&W but I am more than willing to see if I can give you some assistance. NNID: pepi1197

Last edited:

Keep2D

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keep2D
I'm an avid G&W main since his Debut in his Melee days, I'll be glad to help you out,
First and foremost, G&W has a opportunistic or Passive Aggresive playstyle. What does this mean? It means that G&W is rewarded by the mistakes/opening of your opponent and he capitalized off of them, as such, it's not always a great idea to swoop in for damage. (I've found that certain MU's call for a more aggressive playstyle, but for the most part this will be the playstyle you'd want to adopt to achieve success with G&W)
So how do you do it?
Well, for starters, G&W has above average air speed, and VERY GOOD aerials in his arsenal, especially his Turtle, you definitely want to use this move as much as you can to restrict/ approaches. for the most part, it's also safe on shield. Searching for openings also take effort, once your opponent has made an error in his choice of approach (a move with significant ending lag, falling towards you with a move, or maybe a smash Attack) now is your time to strike, and take advantage of G&W's newly introduced Dthrow combo's and follow ups, this is especially new to G&W, so you will want to learn the MU against different characters and learn what combos you can achieve with Dthrow as they vary depending on the character.

Next G&W has a very good Smash Attack in his Up Smash,
This Attack will probably be your best move to kill with on-stage, as you already know that his has has invincibility, which means hitting G&W on the upper half of his body will be NULLIFIED or NO DAMAGE/FLINCH WILL OCCUR. This is a great anti-air tool as well as a great anti-ground tool (CF's Dash Attack nullified by USmash, for example.) So if you ever see your opponent going for a move in the air at High percents, this move will kill them at approximately 110%~ depending on weight class. His Fsmash is decent it has below-average range but kills early at approximately ~95% sweetspotted, and 115% sour spot, again depending on weight class. And Dsmash kills as well has a sweetspot on his hammerheads that kill at ~105%, and ~135% sour spotted.

Next G&W has one of the most best recoveries in the game.
G&W's UpB has outstanding vertical Distance and is a great Punish for players who attempt to gimp, and it's also important to note that G&W has Invincincibility during the first half of his total ascent. As such, gimping will probably be your #1 killing option for G&W, he has many tools he can use, such as sweeping vertical recover with Dair, Fair off stage, chef on AND off-stage (The pan does good directional knockback). And sometimes, Dtilt's Windbox near the ledge can cause a nuisance to recovery, and can be punished.

Uair is also a fairly Viable kill move, at high %'s (100-120), Dthrow, then try to bait an Air Dodge and punish with Uair.

Dtilt is the fastest tilt in G&W's arsenal, so use this tilt to knock opponent back after a somewhat laggy move, and reset to neutral.

In some cases, everything I said about his playstyle may be completely challenged against others, it's just the playstyle I've adopted with G&W, hopefully other mains can provide their input on this!

Adding more*
Dash Attack is an amazing move but don't over use it, it's somewhat punishable

Don't Dair back to the stage a lot, there's a Crapton of landing lag, try Wavebouncing (B-reverse in the air)
Fastfall Nair is another option

UpB can be used to escape Combo's/strings and G&W is not submitted to free-fall, so use this often if you feel overwhelmed.

SideB for the lels/hype/desperate situation
(Dthrow > SideB is a thing, but at certain %'s, don't make It a huge habit.)

Bucket is Bretty good, there's a thread that show's all the stuff he can absorb but I can't find it :(
Just know that he absorbs energy projectiles and explosions.

That's about all I can offer for G&W playstyle and such! If you have questions I'll be down to answer them!

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
I'm an avid G&W main since his Debut in his Melee days, I'll be glad to help you out,
First and foremost, G&W has a opportunistic or Passive Aggresive playstyle. What does this mean? It means that G&W is rewarded by the mistakes/opening of your opponent and he capitalized off of them, as such, it's not always a great idea to swoop in for damage. (I've found that certain MU's call for a more aggressive playstyle, but for the most part this will be the playstyle you'd want to adopt to achieve success with G&W)
So how do you do it?
Well, for starters, G&W has above average air speed, and VERY GOOD aerials in his arsenal, especially his Turtle, you definitely want to use this move as much as you can to restrict/ approaches. for the most part, it's also safe on shield. Searching for openings also take effort, once your opponent has made an error in his choice of approach (a move with significant ending lag, falling towards you with a move, or maybe a smash Attack) now is your time to strike, and take advantage of G&W's newly introduced Dthrow combo's and follow ups, this is especially new to G&W, so you will want to learn the MU against different characters and learn what combos you can achieve with Dthrow as they vary depending on the character.

Next G&W has a very good Smash Attack in his Up Smash,
This Attack will probably be your best move to kill with on-stage, as you already know that his has has invincibility, which means hitting G&W on the upper half of his body will be NULLIFIED or NO DAMAGE/FLINCH WILL OCCUR. This is a great anti-air tool as well as a great anti-ground tool (CF's Dash Attack nullified by USmash, for example.) So if you ever see your opponent going for a move in the air at High percents, this move will kill them at approximately 110%~ depending on weight class. His Fsmash is decent it has below-average range but kills early at approximately ~95% sweetspotted, and 115% sour spot, again depending on weight class. And Dsmash kills as well has a sweetspot on his hammerheads that kill at ~105%, and ~135% sour spotted.

Next G&W has one of the most best recoveries in the game.
G&W's UpB has outstanding vertical Distance and is a great Punish for players who attempt to gimp, and it's also important to note that G&W has Invincincibility during the first half of his total ascent. As such, gimping will probably be your #1 killing option for G&W, he has many tools he can use, such as sweeping vertical recover with Dair, Fair off stage, chef on AND off-stage (The pan does good directional knockback). And sometimes, Dtilt's Windbox near the ledge can cause a nuisance to recovery, and can be punished.

Uair is also a fairly Viable kill move, at high %'s (100-120), Dthrow, then try to bait an Air Dodge and punish with Uair.

Dtilt is the fastest tilt in G&W's arsenal, so use this tilt to knock opponent back after a somewhat laggy move, and reset to neutral.

In some cases, everything I said about his playstyle may be completely challenged against others, it's just the playstyle I've adopted with G&W, hopefully other mains can provide their input on this!

Adding more*
Dash Attack is an amazing move but don't over use it, it's somewhat punishable

Don't Dair back to the stage a lot, there's a Crapton of landing lag, try Wavebouncing (B-reverse in the air)
Fastfall Nair is another option

UpB can be used to escape Combo's/strings and G&W is not submitted to free-fall, so use this often if you feel overwhelmed.

SideB for the lels/hype/desperate situation
(Dthrow > SideB is a thing, but at certain %'s, don't make It a huge habit.)

Bucket is Bretty good, there's a thread that show's all the stuff he can absorb but I can't find it :(
Just know that he absorbs energy projectiles and explosions.

That's about all I can offer for G&W playstyle and such! If you have questions I'll be down to answer them!
you're advice seems really good, can't wait to try them out. would you be willing to add me on Wii U?

Keep2D

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keep2D
you're advice seems really good, can't wait to try them out. would you be willing to add me on Wii U?
Uh, could I get your NNID? I can't play right now, but I'll probably let you know through a message, I'll probably be available at around 9:00 PM EST.

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
Uh, could I get your NNID? I can't play right now, but I'll probably let you know through a message, I'll probably be available at around 9:00 PM EST.
I have to leave for work then so i wont be home

also my skype name is Zodiacx10 aswell

Last edited:

phantoon

Smash Cadet
i try to confuse my opponents by dashing back and forth and making empty jumps, i think g&w's frame-by-frame type of movement caters to this type of gameplay. it's worth noting that g&w can dash off the stage and if you do the key immediately after, you can still recover. actually, i can safely say that as long as you have your second jump you can recover from practically anywhere, his recovery is that good. but going back to what i was saying, doing the key as you dash off the stage can result in a spike (gotta love those key spikes) or stage spike. worst case scenario you don't KO them but get 10%+ damage on them. or SD, which is why you should practice to get the timing right :p

pivot ftilt/fsmash is very rewarding in my experience, many players try to dash grab you and doing a pivot fsmash can often result in getting the sweetspot. ftilt is also really good if you're like half-FD (a bit less) away from them to check if they're gonna dash attack you or something

this is a bit jumbled up but it's all i can remember for now. hope it helps!!!

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
i knew about the key thing, i've practiced it a lot and its good usually people don't see it coming. i think i just have a really hard time approaching and getting the kill. racking up dmg is okay but there are so many times people im fighting are like at 180% cuz getting that kill is tricky

phantoon

Smash Cadet
hm with g&w getting the kill is mostly about reads. edgeguarding is your best bet, second comes killing with up smash when they're trying to land on the stage and they try to attack from above (which is useless because of the invincibility), third is pivot fsmash when they're trying to dash attack/grab you like i said before. this is how i usually seal the deal

if, however, you're having a tough time and they're at like 150%+, killing with ftilt becomes a new option. if it's fresh it'll kill at that percent and can kill at like 110-120% if you hit near the ledge (it depends on the other character's weight though)

Top Bottom