• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need Help Fighting Squirtle....

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
Squirtle is without a doubt my #1 weakness. Any pointers on how to combat the little devil would be much appreciated.

I'll throw in my mains so you have some kind of idea about specific matchups. Roy, Charizard, Yoshi, and Mr. Game and Watch.

Thanks.

Mtank

Smash Cadet
just analyze his side-b and find what your options are against it (assuming thats what you have trouble with since that was everyone else complains about.) His side-b is actually SO punishable. If hes coming at you from more than half the stage with side-b, then thats a free smash, simple as that. Now as for fighting him in general, its really just learning the matchup. Squirtle has limited approaches, so just notice this and find ways to combat them. Charizard space with neutral air, try to to let him get combos started on you. Roy out ranges hard so use that. GnW throw out forward air all day. Yoshi idk

Oatmeal.

Thanks.

And you were right, side B dancing all over the place was one of my main concerns, but real Squirtles wouldn't really use it from across the stage. If they actually just did that, I wouldn't have to make this thread. It's the unexpected close range ones that really get me, because that catches me off my guard while they're stringing aerials. Maybe I just need to learn to expect these things....

Anything else exceptionally dangerous that's worth telling me about? I know next to nothing about how Squirtle plays.....even though I have to deal with them all the time.....

didds

Smash Lord
usmash of course might be used out of the blue. Watch out for dair, I've seriously combo'd a zard with dair like 4 times in a row lol

Squirtle also has a good DI mixup with throws. If you DI in to try to survive the down throw, but he uses fthrow, he can net a fair. So keep the grab mixup in mind.

If your using zard then dthrow, squirtles tech game is amongst the worst in the game and can pretty much be punished on reaction.

Neutral in general will be tough, Squirtle has the mobility options to compete with just about any character's neutral.

Last edited:

Oatmeal.

Thanks again.

I've learned when to expect Squirtle's Usmashes. My brother uses Squirtle as an alternate.

Unfortunately, Charizard is easily combo'd....although Nair or maybe Usmash utilization could stop Squirt's Dair in it's tracks. Either I need to improve my reflexes to an even further extent, or perhaps I need to be using a smaller character VS Squirtle? Yoshi, maybe?

I've become adept at tech chasing with Zard's Dthrow (which I like to call the Inescapable Grasp). If Squirtle makes it easy to do that.....oh boy I'll have some fun.

I have so much difficulty even working for a decent hit with Squirtle's crazy mobility. Any particular matchup reccommended? I was thinking probably Roy or Yoshi, because of their exceptional range, but I'm probably missing something that would wreck me. Like always....

didds

Smash Lord
Yoshi would be good. A character who can punish well after getting that hit is ideal, I've been wrecked by falcons in 3 hits. It's also nice to have a decent shffl'd meteor to make squirtle think twice about using side b. But yea, fighting squirtle without some decent mobility of your own is a real struggle, you honestly just have to be a better player.

Oh and one more thing, at first glance Squirtle's recovery is extremely difficult to edgeguard, but most of the hit box comes out in front, so you can sometimes sneak a hit in from above, zard's dair comes to mind. Heck, I've been shine spiked out of it against a fox with good timing.

Oatmeal.

Alrighty. Lucky for me, the local tourneys don't have any Squirtle players, but that doesn't mean I won't encounter one soon. It's good to be ready.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
It sounds like you have a lot of characters man, do you plan on taking all of those 4 out in tournament?

Last edited:

Oatmeal.

It sounds like you have a lot of characters man, do you plan on taking all of those 4 out in tournament?
Definitely, though I don't think my Mr. Game and Watch is quite ready. Given a little more practice time, you should see all four of my good friends on the Project M tournament scene. Actually, I have yet to put my name in the scene, but that will change soon. Probably when I move out and travel to California, which could end up being a while from now. Ah well, patience is a virtue.

Outthere

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3325-3164-3360
I have this exact problem. I faced a Squirtle(for the very first time, mind you) in tournament last weekend. Needless to say, I got wrecked. I had no clue what to do, at ALL. I play Fox and obviously got comboed to death ruthlessly. My shine combos didn't work at all, and my attempts at edgeguarding ended with me being smacked across the stage. I was so damn salty after that...

Anyway do you guys have any advice for a Fox? Or my secondaries, which are Samus, Falco, Falcon, & Marth.

Top Bottom