• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

need help: falco questions

freekskater128

Smash Rookie
this is my first post...

im pretty good with falco, but i dont understand wats so good about falcos gun
i hear its for edge guarding, but all it does is give them extra jumps to get back on

also, what moves should i avoid when using falco, ones that just aren't good and dont help?

i dont get how to make combos with him, i try but i fall to fast and they get blown back too far to hit them again..... whats a good starter and can you please give me some easy combos, like the only 1 i know, the down throw+down B

should i jump off the edge to do his spike when my opponent is recovering, or just slam them down on the stage? sorry, this question is kinda confusing the way i put it.......

and sorry about all the questions, im new and im pretty good with falco, but cant seem to use his wavedashing right.

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
His laser is not used for edgeguarding. Only certain characters can be edgeguarded with it. The SHL is used for approach and retreat more then anything else.

As for moves to avoid with Falco...the only one I can really tell you is his usmash. Perhaps his fair, but I know Forward among other very good smashers use the fair pretty well. In general, nair > fair though. Falco's got a nice set of moves. None of them are really useless.

Combos...First of all, downthrow to shine doesn't work. A moderately good opponent could tech out of that easily. Falco's combos are often started with SHL to pillar or CC to shine (pretty much anything that allows you to land the shine will start a combo).

Edgeguarding is done with his bair more then his spike, but just don't SH off to spike, as you won't be able to recover from it. If your opponent is trying to come back high, you can try to jump up and spike them, but most will airdodge. It's probably better to fake a spike and get him to airdodge into an fsmash or something.

Falco's WD is for one of two things: spacing and comboing fastfallers. Both you learn to use with experience.

EDIT: I suggest you watch some good Falco players to see how his moves (his laser especially. It's Falco's best move. If you don't understand why it's good, you need to see it) are used. Names I can suggest off the top of my head are Forward, Mathos, DaShizWiz, Bombsoldier and PC Chris.

offcell

Smash Apprentice
For combos, refer to the first sticky thread on the top of the Falco forum. Has a neat compilation of good Falco players to watch and learn from.

freekskater128

Smash Rookie
thanks, also i need to know why in the videos, they jump and fast fall everytime they use the laser instead of just using it on the ground

and how do they rocover and move around so quick

DJ Boonbuggy

Smash Apprentice
Falco's movelist is pretty good. Usmash is somewhat worthless, only use it on like Jiggles or something, and Fair is pretty bad, though some people pull it off.

For combos, you really just have to watch videos and get an idea of how Falco moves. Teaching you specific combos, such as shine -> shffl dair -> shine -> shffl dair -> utilt -> shffl dair (repeat utilt to shffl dair until he gets too high) and utilt -> bair on link, won't really help you. You just need to watch videos and get the idea of HOW Falco moves, then learn to make your hands imitate them.

Never jump off the stage to spike someone unless you do it Kaze No Kizzu style and use your second jump right before you do your spike (but you still have to be at least parallel and close to the stage). Realistically, try to be close enough to the edge so that the spike sends them away from the stage, but don't fall off. Try to use Dsmash and Bair as edgeguarding moves as well.

Last, for your question about Lasers. They're doing what's called a Short Hop Laser (SHL), SHLing is important in Falco's play because of the mobility it gives you. You can move forward/backward while shooting your laser, which allows you to make good approaches. Also, when you SHL, you don't have ridiculous lag when you try to put your laser back up, so you're more ready to counterattack someone coming towards you.

Recovering and moving around quickly is just done by practice and learning the ways that Falco moves, truly incorporating his speed, his exact movement, into your hands. It just takes a lot of time.

Top Bottom