• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help defeating a yoshi.

SirChubbs

Smash Rookie
I am relatively new with the advanced techniques and stuff, and I tend to have trouble beating him.-He mains yoshi. I have no videos though and can't get any.

I have a little tourney expierience as i went 2 one but did not participate(only in friendlies) but he has none.

I am starting to get the hang of l cancelling, ledge hopping, i can short hop, I am still working on DI, and I need to learn to shffl still to name some things.

I still have a hard time w. bomb jump and have no clue on how to bomb tech.

I've read a few of the guides posted and they have improved my game alot, though I still need to work some stuff/

Although we both know little of the advanced techniques, I know more than him, course that doesn't matter.

He loves ccing and usually when I start throwing projectiles and stuff at him he starts egg spamming instead of shielding instead forcing me to shield and lets him get up close, where a yoshi can do some damage.

Some situations that happen often

I D smash or Fsmash, he ccs, either grabs and combos, or Dsmashes and if I am at a high damage, I usually go off the edge and he egg spams, and If i am under stage and can't sweet spot edge, it usually ends up in hook recovery and the I get Dsmashed.

What I need help with is how to counteract his style, I've tended to play defensive against him and spam projectiles as it has worked best although he tends to counter with egg spam.

He plays a pretty nasty yoshi, though he is no where near fumi or gabe, but he could probably take a local low tier tourney with it-he is only slightly better than me, he probably wins aroung 60% of the matches we play.

Tanks, and I will see if I can get a video, though chances are I can't.

Shinki

Smash Cadet
Hm... well one solution you can do for his CCing is when you dash forward instead of attacking, do a grab instead and from there do whatever combo you wish. Once he notices what you are doing, he'll have to change tactics and not CC as much.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Hm... well one solution you can do for his CCing is when you dash forward instead of attacking, do a grab instead and from there do whatever combo you wish. Once he notices what you are doing, he'll have to change tactics and not CC as much.
beat me to it :ohwell:

But yea, it just looks like you gotta grab him when he's spamming his CCing. eventually he'll have to change. Another thing is if you're coming back from the side, try to time your spin slash so you'll catch him in it. If that means camping on the ledge (dropping and jumping to catch it again) until he gets closer, then go for it. The final slash will have knockback whether he's CCing or not, and if he's CCing at the beginning of the slash, he most likely won't be able to do a move out of it until the end of your combo, but I could be wrong :ohwell:

funny smiley ftw :lick:

Kib0U

Smash Journeyman
i got couple things to try to help you out...

like shinki said if you can get a grab on him it would be a great start "link is a massive killer when it comes to people who dont DI and tech and stuff." im ganna assum he dosent and techs every so often because you said he's just a little more better than you well do a down throw after the grab and from there if he tech rolls while hes at lower %'s just tech chase or do b-air turn around grab... or dash atack to keep him in the air but but im hopeing he dosent know that yoshi can throw a neutral air b4 you can do an up tilt when hes at higher %'s cause yoshi luigi and more of the floties can just do n-airs when you d-throw to up tilt... combos are dope cause after like 5 hits the dude will be at like 50%

im sry if its hard to understand what i just typed... from hawaii and typinging from a coconut computer in a grass hut

SirChubbs

Smash Rookie
Thx for the feed back everyone. I'll see how it goes next time me and my bro play. I was just curious if ne1 could help me with the egg spamming now.

Skler

Smash Master
Use boomerangs and bombs to beat eggs, he shouldn't stand a chance in a spam war due to Link having control over his projectiles. You should be moving towards him while you spam, since if a bomb hits him you get a chance to land a shffl into jabs, a grab or a dsmash (depends on his %). He has enough lag after eggs to let you hit him with a bomb assuming you have one pulled, make use of that lag!

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Abuse the fact that Link's sword outspaces Yoshi's moves, Yoshi is fairly easy to combo, and the fact that Yoshi is very vulernable to spam.

So basically...keeping throwing stuff and swing your sword :p

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
listen. i doubt any technical advice anyone gives you will help you win, that is, considering your lack of experience. don't assume there's a concrete answer that will solve all of your problems. i suggest, of course, you get your technical skill down first--which, by the way, takes hours of repetition, and then you can focus on the more important aspects of melee--needless to say. basically, what i'm trying to get across to you, is this: gain full control of your character to the point where advanced techniques become basic, or second-nature, then worry about all the complexities that come after. trust me, it gets way more in depth than what you've been exposed to thus far.

even those who are considered "decent," and that have a firm grasp of character match-ups and so on, are not fully aware of the profoundness that melee offers. reason being--in my opinion--is because there are many young--i mean really young--smashers who are not mentally developed or matured as their older counter-parts.

however, it's obvious that age isn't everything. or, by any means, is it the most important factor either. remember, experience, more than anything else, is the key factor to victory. figure out why yoshi keeps punishing you and fix it; he obviously has you figured out. furthermore, as you gain a better understanding of the game and learn all the tricks of the trade, the more options you'll have in your arsenal to deal with a particular situation.

omfg, wtf am i talking about? and does it have any relevance regarding the threads' topic? i seriously need to stop posting when im this faded. alright guys, i got some partying to do. i'm sin city serious. doomsday representing. lol, imma laugh at myself tomorrow. oh, and by the way, never smash when your drunk; i know some of you know what i'm talking about.

So basically...keeping throwing stuff and swing your sword :p
words of wisdom...lol.

Top Bottom