• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

need help against advanced yoshi

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
well, Im not sure why so few people take yoshi seriously in smash, but I just got my *** kicked by the most pro yoshi player I've ever played. He's probably sick of me bragging for him and he's very modest but this guy was one step down from god while playing as our lovable green dinosour.

Anyway, because not many people play as yoshi, Im not sure if there's many people who can give advice on the matter, but I, of course main meta knight, and I had such a hard time fighting this guy. First of all, those eggs he throws are insane, they're just all over the place and my tornado has nothing to stand against it (as in, the eggs stop the tornado in its tracks). Also, he knew how to use the tounge and stomp moves very well. I'd get eaten and turned into an egg and every time I broke free he'd just hit me with an egg, so Im not even sure how thats avoidable.

Any advice on how to fight an amazingly good yoshi player would be appreciated :)

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
I think you'd be better off actually asking this in the yoshi forums. It's far more likely that the yoshis there will have played MK and know the matchup then the MKs here knowing Yoshi, since MK is by far the more popular character.

KHaN_911

Smash Rookie
Yeah what phyvo said. I am still in awe that a yoshi could do such a thing lol

Kaotical

Smash Ace
I could tell you that edge-guarding a Yoshi would be really hard considering the super-armor/added weight on Yoshi's 2nd jump. Maybe let Yoshi come back to the level or just edge-hog and wait and then when he comes back use your superior aerials or neutral-b and put him back off of the level. Eventually he'll be too far off to come back. Another thing you could possibly do is try and kill him up off the ceiling. Stay in the air to make him jump after you and maybe you could bait him into using his second jump early and then send him off. No recovery move!

Concerning the eggs, I wouldn't even bother with those. When you see Yoshi start chucking eggs, rush in. You might even wanna try and neutral-b right through them or under them.

Also remember one thing when facing Yoshi: watch our for b-air. Not a lot of knockback, but he could combo off of it I believe. A spammable aerial.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
I think you'd be better off actually asking this in the yoshi forums. It's far more likely that the yoshis there will have played MK and know the matchup then the MKs here knowing Yoshi, since MK is by far the more popular character.
yea, you're probably right, I'll do that

I could tell you that edge-guarding a Yoshi would be really hard considering the super-armor/added weight on Yoshi's 2nd jump. Maybe let Yoshi come back to the level or just edge-hog and wait and then when he comes back use your superior aerials or neutral-b and put him back off of the level. Eventually he'll be too far off to come back. Another thing you could possibly do is try and kill him up off the ceiling. Stay in the air to make him jump after you and maybe you could bait him into using his second jump early and then send him off. No recovery move!

Concerning the eggs, I wouldn't even bother with those. When you see Yoshi start chucking eggs, rush in. You might even wanna try and neutral-b right through them or under them.

Also remember one thing when facing Yoshi: watch our for b-air. Not a lot of knockback, but he could combo off of it I believe. A spammable aerial.
yoshi's eggs stop meta knight's tornado in its tracks, but other than that, good advice thanks a lot

SiSiMeN

Smash Rookie
I main Yoshi, and Metaknight is actually my second main lol so id have to say, definately dont use tornado. As far as the egg stuff goes, realise yoshi cant hit you when you are right in front of him, and the egg travels in an arc, so you can go under it, and slide tackle him. If he tries to turn you into an egg, roll behind him and do your Adown (not smash) while on the ground repeatedly. It might have a longer range than yoshis tongue, im not sure, either way it really helps, and I think metaknights up B cancels yoshis down B, but you might both go flying, so test that out. Yoshi is a very good air character, but it does not sound like your friend is into using his A attacks very much, so basically short hop Rair him (facing him) over and over again and get him off the level.

And roll a lot, Yoshi has fast smash attacks but if Yoshi players over use his B attacks they leave themselves open for back attacks (that egg throw leaves him open for attack, get in quickly, but dont get hit. AND DONT RUN STRAIGHT FOR YOSHI, roll behind him.)

Hope that helped.

Top Bottom