• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

need a trainer for brawl

Puddin

Smash Lord
Well you see, press the L or R button (default) when somone tries to attack you.

Rh1thmz

Smash Journeyman
Well you see, press the L or R button (default) when somone tries to attack you.
Win. lol

Well, it just doesn't work that way. One can't just be demonstrated Smash concepts. I'll try to help you out via post, though.

Shielding is all about being able to predict your opponent. If you can't predict your opponent very well, you won't shield very effectively, because you shield when you anticipate that your opponent will attack. Also, as much as I hate to say it, if you haven't already, play through the Emissary, and try playing a few lives as every character. Familiarize yourself with each character's moveset and feel. If you know what a character is capable of, then you will have a much easier time predicting your opponent.

But yeah, as far as when you shield their attacks, just punish. Follow up with a quick, effective attack or grab. Even though you shield to avoid damage, you should be shielding as a method of quick, effective punishment, too.

Oh, and I think that you should read this article. I think that it will help you quite a bit, even though it isn't about shielding. You can ignore me if you want, but I think it will be a worthwhile read for you:

Important Thread

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710

Take your pick. =)

On a serious note, just play a match against a CPU and only shield.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Just hold the shield button to shield, and use shield and left or right on the control stick to roll, and aerial dodge.
Press it down and shield to dodge.
Just don't hold shield with Jigglypuff.;)

urdailywater

Smash Hero
I choose Dawn, nao!

Anyway, whatever you do always remember that most of your movements should be in shield rolling unless your opponent is on the other side of the screen.

It took me a while to realize this also- SPOT DODGING IS YOUR FRIEND. Don't stand with a shield and expect to be safe, spot dodging reduces your risk of being it or grabbed by a major percentage.

It doesn't take long to learn. Try to go on With Anyone also, and just try not to get hit the entire match and keep the shield up.

Don't know what else to say, good luck with it though!

edit: eww.. old thread =/

Top Bottom