• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nair or Fair off the edge?

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
I have seen some Marths who primarily do a ledge hop nair and some that primarily ledge hop fair. My question is what is the functional difference between the two? Is one almost always better or are there advantages to both in different circumstances? What other ledge options are important to learn? I am trying to figure out ledge play because when I go against really good players, I almost always die or get punished on the ledge.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Fair may offer better followups and you can waveland out of it if you initiate early enough. Nair is often safer from the ledge since it hits twice.

I've seen KDJ use uair spaced so that he lands almost immediately after the hitbox comes out, but that seems like more of a mixup option. More risky, but potentially rewards you with a juggle depending on character/percent.

There's the option of ledgedashing as a mixup too, but Marth's invincibility window on even a perfect ledgedash is pretty tight due to the way his double jump works. I believe he exits invincibility for a couple frames before say, ledgedash into grab would connect.

Last edited:

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
Fair may offer better followups and you can waveland out of it if you initiate early enough. Nair is often safer from the ledge since it hits twice.

I've seen KDJ use uair spaced so that he lands almost immediately after the hitbox comes out, but that seems like more of a mixup option. More risky, but potentially rewards you with a juggle depending on character/percent.

There's the option of ledgedashing as a mixup too, but Marth's invincibility window on even a perfect ledgedash is pretty tight due to the way his double jump works. I believe he exits invincibility for a couple frames before say, ledgedash into grab would connect.
Excuse me for my ignorance, but what is ledgedashing? Would that be a ledge hop followed by a wave land on stage?

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Yeah. You play Roy, you may have seen Sethlon or others ledgedash into shield, grab, etc to get through things like Link Up-Bing near the ledge. Marth's floatier double jump can still pull it off, but it's less effective. Ledgedash into shield works for Marth with good timing (assuming you don't get grabbed obviously), but a ledgedash grab with Marth always leaves at least a few frames where you're vulnerable iirc. Something to consider since invulnerability in this game doesn't prevent you from taking a later hit from a lingering hitbox.

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
I would prefer nair generally because it is better against crouchcancelling, and you do not want your fair crouchcancelled and then being hit away without your jump.
Then again, it is all about what your opponent expects so I would mix my choices, mainly doing ledgedashes, ledgedrop->jump->nair or even fair and up-air

Top Bottom