• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

N64 Expansion Pak slows down Smash?

It's my understanding that the N64 Memory Expansion Pak slows down Smash gameplay?

I've been playing on a jumper pak (normal) N64 for the last couple of years, and then I went back home this week and pulled out my own N64 and popped in Smash and it was noticeably slower, but just by a little. I took out my expansion pak and put in the normal (jumper) pak and it was back to the speed I always play at.

Can anyone else confirm this? And what do people normally play on? Jumper pak to me is much better (even though the speed increase is only by a hair or two).

(I tried searching for this topic... didn't get anywhere.)

go try it and see what I mean.

edit: and I'm not talking about the N64 being able to handle more stuff on the screen at once and not suffering from slow-down, I'm talking about normal, unrestrained gameplay (1v1, no items).

Well, that's the thing - it appears smoother, and during times of slowdown maintains a better framerate than without, but initially it seems a hair quicker. Maybe my eyes/brain deceive me.

Either way, I'd like to do a video comparison... I'll get on it later when I can borrow some things.

(But it seems that if it were true, with one it might be a hair easier to do jc shines and double laser, maybe)

kit

Smash Apprentice
run some tests

get someone to randomly change the paks and have you guess which is in do it one hundred times and if 90%+ you're right then it can be confirmed that you aren't just crazy and that maybe there is something wrong with your exp pak... maybe try getting a new one as well? haha idk feels good man

kit

Smash Apprentice
although there was this one time i was playing on a 64 with the better pak in and i was foxing a friend up in the hyrule box and i hit them off the tent and up aired them and the whole game lagged (this was on console) and it was like a slo-mo kill and i was like WHAT is going on

it seriously just felt like i was comboing him so much off the tent then when i ended it it was so delayed... but that was only a one time thing so maybe the system just had a hiccup

Not a bad idea, having someone switch the cartridges... heh. I was going to hook up two 64s and have them running side-by-side and looking for a visual difference. But going by feel will work for now.

And there's nothing wrong with my expansion pak... it works as it's supposed to. But thanks for the idea.

kit

Smash Apprentice
yeah that would be cool too to try and mimic two different 64s to see if there was a difference... would be cool if you could hook up one controller to both

alright, blind swap failed... best I could "do" was 60%. it'd have to be 80% or higher for me to consider it a reality.

maybe I'm wrong about this whole thing.

I'll still try a video test just to be able to kill my own rumor, but...*sigh*

Top Bottom