• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

n00b Kirby help + Video

jtowns

Smash Apprentice
Combo out of your throws more. Your Fthrow you can use at low %'s on medium - high weight characters and do a hammer after. Also I'd for sure do more Bair's. It's such a good attack and has like no lag. Shorthop to a bair is very hard to react to especially online. You sat in your shield a bit much, as well. A lot of the times if you get close to the computer they airdodge, then you can hit them as they come out of the airdodge and they can't do anything about it. Down + B was easily punishable, but I don't think that was even a level 9 computer X_X. You just have some stuff to work on with timing. Mindgames would boost your gameplay too. Oh and if you Dthrow do up tilt at low %'s because it's better than an upsmash by far. I use to upsmash but it takes too long with startup lag, compared to up tilt which has barely any if at all.

~Jtowns

wk4c

Smash Rookie
Combo out of your throws more. Your Fthrow you can use at low %'s on medium - high weight characters and do a hammer after. Also I'd for sure do more Bair's. It's such a good attack and has like no lag. Shorthop to a bair is very hard to react to especially online. You sat in your shield a bit much, as well. A lot of the times if you get close to the computer they airdodge, then you can hit them as they come out of the airdodge and they can't do anything about it. Down + B was easily punishable, but I don't think that was even a level 9 computer X_X. You just have some stuff to work on with timing. Mindgames would boost your gameplay too. Oh and if you Dthrow do up tilt at low %'s because it's better than an upsmash by far. I use to upsmash but it takes too long with startup lag, compared to up tilt which has barely any if at all.

~Jtowns
Thanks! And yeah...that was a lvl 9...at least I'm not THAT n00bish.

This was my first game using dodge/grab, and have since learned to do better. But thank's for the tips.

~Shao~

Smash Ace
I'm not pro, but I'll try to help.

Well, stop using stone and ground hammer, use them when they least expect it. Try approaching with back, forward and down air, and sometimes running attack. Use kirby's tilts more, and jab to throw off your opponent. It looks like your spot dodging and rolling are ok, but don't get predictable, practice your shielding and air dodging and try using less your smashes, specially up smash.

Last but not least, don't use cpu's to train. Find a friend or relative to play with you, or maybe go wi-fi. Best of luck ;D

EDIT: I forgot something. Grab more, specially down and forward throws. Down to combo into up tilts and up air and forward to do aerial hammer at low percents, and don't forget to attack after grabbing for extra damage.

wk4c

Smash Rookie
I'm not pro, but I'll try to help.

Well, stop using stone and ground hammer, use them when they least expect it. Try approaching with back, forward and down air, and sometimes running attack. Use kirby's tilts more, and jab to throw off your opponent. It looks like your spot dodging and rolling are ok, but don't get predictable, practice your shielding and air dodging and try using less your smashes, specially up smash.

Last but not least, don't use cpu's to train. Find a friend or relative to play with you, or maybe go wi-fi. Best of luck ;D

EDIT: I forgot something. Grab more, specially down and forward throws. Down to combo into up tilts and up air and forward to do aerial hammer at low percents, and don't forget to attack after grabbing for extra damage.
It sucks really, I don't have any relatives who play smash, and all my friends either stink something awful or do't play. >.>

EDIT: My LAN adapters coming in the mail as we speak. >.<

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
Playing against the CPU has benefits, but several downsides. Whats great is that you can learn a lot about the mechanics of the game, and you get very good practice with the basics which many people need work on. The CPU doesn't really strategize, and just reacts according to your movements, which is why you can practice several things against the CPU like your basics and timing, because the CPU has ridiculous timing.

However whats bad is getting bad habits from playing against the CPU. Since the CPU doesn't strategize it falls for things that human players won't fall for, like luring the CPU to the edge for an obvious swallocide, or jumping to the top of the stage and turning into a rock to smash the CPU. The CPU also really sucks at recovering, so don't expect the edgeguards that you do against a CPU to work on a human player.

When it comes to practicing your strategy, you need a human player to see what strategies work and don't work. However if you play against bad players you can actually get worse because you can get bad habits as well. If you practice techniques or strategies that work on bad player but doesn't really work against good players you might have problems if those practices becomes bad habits

If you train with human players that are very good then sure don't waste your time with CPUs. However if I had a choice between a not so good player or the CPU then I would prefer to play with the CPU until I got the basics down, or until I play a good player.

My recommendation to you sir, is to learn the basics first.

wk4c

Smash Rookie
Don't I already know the basics? I know all of te attacks and how/when to execute them.

wk4c

Smash Rookie
Finally, the adapter's here. I played some guys [ThCat and MIKE] and usually took second i our matches. I played ThCat once just 1v1 and beat him, so I think I did some major improving. But, I only won once in the 1v1v1's so...yeah. But I got some tips from ThCat and plan to be more aggressive and stop spamming that rock.

Top Bottom