• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

N00b Falcon

Nurok

Smash Lord
im a noob falco
I main falco and fox, and i am extremely technical.
the only problem is... i have no idea how to play falcon, no matter how many people i see playing him.
help?
what are the first things i need to learn with falcon?
(i already know SHFFLing and Wavedashing and stuff, i just feel like picking up falcon and i need help.)

audreyh

Smash Ace
be patient.

you can't afford to play falcon like you would fox and falco, with their massive pressure and high priority moves. You've just gota figure out how to get 1 hit off... then that leads to a ton more

leeharris100

Smash Rookie
First off, get used to his speed and recovery. His speed is probably his greatest thing and his recovery his worst. Against high priority characters like Fox, Falco, Marth, Sheik, etc, you'll need to use mindgames to start combos. Approach often with an L canceled nair (not shffled) and go from there. The advanced combos take a while to get used to, so basically learn to use his speed (not his quickness, his moves aren't as fast as fox) first. He has some powerful finishers that are great when used correctly. The first is his knee. It has decent priority and speed, but it's ridiculously powerful. His ground smashes are pretty slow, but also powerful. The down smash is a good move to use occasionally because he'll swing his foot in front then behind him, which can catch many people off guard especially after they tech or land without teching.

Heres a quick summary of his moves -

N-air : quick, pretty good priority, hits twice and the 2nd has a decent knockback that is good for starting combos. it has little landing lag, but it's still good to L-cancel.
F-air: the knee. very powerful and quick but not too high of priority. usually used as a finish to a combo.
B-air: awesome move. it has good priority, it's quick, and powerful. it's not quite as powerful as the knee, but it can definitely kill at good percentages. also great for edgeguarding.
D-air: a meteor smash. has a big hitbox, so you dont have to be too accurate with it. has pretty good priority and can be good for setting up combos.
U-air: good priority, very quick, good range. this move is great for combos and for finishers at high percentages. if you can get them above you, multiple u-air combos can be pulled of pretty easily. if you chase someone off the edge and land a u-air you can also kill them at good percentages.

f-smash: slow but powerful. sends them forward, only use this occasionally. (grab fox/falco around 80% to 90%, upthrow, fsmash would be an example)
d-smash: also pretty slow and powerful, but hits in front and then behind. it's good for hitting someone who teched right behind you or is rolling behind you.
u-smash: pretty powerful, but the hitbox is very weird on this one. very situational.

d-tilt: if you can't hit them up to the air or get a grab in to finish them with a knee, this move could be your ticket. at higher percentages it will prop them straight up in the air, perfect for a knee. this also hits slightly below the stage.
f-filt: quick kick that has little knockback but great for edgeguarding phantasms or for interrupts.
u-tilt: looks a lot like samus's u-tilt, but has less knockback. decent for edgeguarding.

b - falcon punch. never use this unless you're doing a friendly or playing a total noob.
forward b - raptor strike. great for tech chasing and mindgames. can be easily punished by shieldgrabbers, so use it accordingly. a great use for shieldgrabbers is to do an empty shffl right past them them forward b right at them as they come out.
down b - only good use is when you recover. if you get knocked high in the air, jump and do a down b and you'll be rewarded with another double jump and an up b.
up b - his recovery. it sucks. this is what keeps CF middle tier. hard to sweetspot, bad distance, easily caped, slow... but it has one advantage! if you manage to hit them with it, you get to give your opponent some free hugz

there you go! hope this helps.

technomancer

Smash Champion
WAzuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup your info is messing up the tables, lol

You mostly need to get used to knowing when to fly across the stage, and SHFFLing and bookin' it so you don't get shield-grabbed, when to camp, and how to camp using your speed to re-camp in a different place, and other than that it's all mindgames. Pivot grabs are amazing, I need to get good at them.

Nurok

Smash Lord
thanks all- I'll need to practice this sheezy
Technomancer, you goin to the Catonsville smashfest next week?
i need to play you-heard you're pretty good.
-edun

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
I have been maining falcon for a few months now, after pretty much maining every decent character on the board over my smash career (most notable as a dr. mario) and I realize there are things that make captain just so awesome that I probably should have stuck with him since the get go.

if you already have all the tech skills that you say, then you should have no problem picking him up, as long as you know basically what to do as a captain falcon player.

DD is like the most important thing for captain. He is so fast! HOLY ****! but relax. seriously. Keep him under controll.

Captain has an ability that is so cool, the last person daring enough to use it in combat was MJ. Yes, i'm talking about the Moon Walk. Learn it. Looks sweet, adds some crazy mind games and its fun to help you just show off.

KNEE KNEE KNEE KNEE KNEE

Captains raptor boost is the ****.

I know my help is all very blunt, but take what I say to heart.

Top Bottom