• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My viewpoint on sheik

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I was watching KDJ's early Brawl sheik videos and read some of David Sirlin's overrated but still useful "Playing to Win."

Here's an enthusiastic and perhaps overly optomistic post I made about Sheik in my local region's thread, xD.

"Guys, I learned some deep insight with the game yesterday.

You know how people are freakishly into camping these days? Saying that reactive and safe play is the most effective.... Well, in essence, it is. Campy toon links can win matches all day, and I've just been trying to find ways to be aggressive.

WELL, normally in games you'd have to be safe before being too aggressive... Because usually, making a fluke would mean your own demise because the opponent had some crazy combo waiting for your mistake.

I realized something playing against a lvl 9 Marth... Despite my attempts at playing aggressively, he would still be scoring hits between my flawed combo attempts. So I tried to figure him out by spacing him and rolling, but silly me, CPU's are immune to that. I thought about it for a sec...

If this CPU is gonna score random hits on me just because he's attacking... then maybe I should just keep attacking.

"Safe rushdowns" are considered the ultimate style in combo-oriented fighting games. Most fighting games are combo-oriented. Since Brawl has basically no real combos, everyone's resorted to an evade-projectile-don't take damage play style.

Sure, I could do that, but it never fit me. Then, something just clicked.

Screw a "safe rushdown."

I've adapted my Sheik style into a RECKLESS rushdown. If I can't react fast enough to a computer's randomly thrown attacks... then people aren't gonna be able to react to mine. Simple as that.

Good luck to Modesto this weekend and I'm gonna polish my attack styles."

Discuss. Recklessness attacking is too good.

(But not quite "reckless." At least I'm still trying to be accurate. I just stopped rolling and dodging where it was punishable and replaced it with ftilts into an opponent's shield ROFL!)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
"Recklessness attacking?" While going on the total warpath with heavy rushdown is definitely unsafe, it can catch lesser campy players off guard, especially given Sheik's speed and ability to actually string together a couple of attacks. Just realize that if you're down a full stock, it's time to tone it down and start playing a little more safe again. : P

Oh, but the completely aggressive style is definitely much more fun.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lol yeah i guess when i'm behind or have high % then i tone it down
but playing this way is definitely interesting with brawl... it's like, i can keep this air of superiority and confidence in my sheik.

i definitely know what it takes to win tournament matches, so i probably won't be doing this... but it is really fun knowing that in brawl, i can get away with dash attacking into someone's shield and not being punished to death for it. instead, i'll just take a hit or grab and then get back to my attacking.

oh lol "recklessness attacking" and poor syntax are too good!

sheik has a nice body. that's why i use her.

sheesh, some people say to let go of all emotion and play only to win... but this way of playing sheik has certainly lit up a fire in me. i was a beast at sheik in melee and i intend to keep it that way.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
Yes, I agree. By being very offensive, we don't need the uber Melee fair, we can use her nair, bair, up and down smashes to kill...you just have to SAVE a couple of those specifically for killing percentages, then Sheik works great!

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
I dunno, I find Sheik's Defensive game to be fairly powerful. Her grab is quick and has a decent range, and her Jabs and tilts are longer ranged than a lot of people's.

One thing I do recomend is ALWAYS chase your opponent off the edge. Off-stage Fairs or Nairs can kill at a significantly lower percentage than most of Sheik's moves.

Top Bottom