• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My thoughts on lucario's changes

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
Throughout 3.5's lifespan, I have always admired lucario's playstyle. He has a lot of cool combos, an altered "shine" in his ASC, and his uniquness in the game. I knew he was going to be nerfed and it mad sense that he would get worse in 3.6. However, I wasn't really bothered because I thought the PMDT enjoys lucario's playstyle. When the nerfs came, I was fine with most of them. Aerial dodge out of up b, and invincibility out of down b was toxic and I am glad that was nerfed and needed to be changed, but I have a problem with the ASC change. A player by the name of IPunchKidz used his incredible tech skill and came up with really creative combos that made the metagame way deper than expected. I feel like the ASC nerf was aimed at the player rather than the character. The ASC wasn't unbeatable, and in order to use it, you had to have strict timing and tech skill, and it made lucario a hard character to use and master at a top level. With it being nerfed, I think combos with it could either still be a thing or it could be useless, but if it's useless, it kind of simplifies how lucario is used at a top level, and it bothers me that PMDT wants lucario to be easier to play as and against, I feel like ASC nerf was aimed at IPK, and they just didn't want him to win tournaments anymore. Just my thoughts, I want to know other people's opinion on this issue too, and hopefully a PMDT member can justify why the nerfs were made to his ASC.

atara

Smash Cadet
On the one hand, it's hard to believe that the changes are aimed at IPK when he just lost to Sethlon and Lucky at BOSS2.

On the other, I agree about the whole ASC thing -- the 4-frame cancel obviously didn't unbalance the game, and instead of being a traditional "nerf" it just adds an extra 67 milliseconds during which you can kill yourself by tapping L too early. And of all the ways to lose a match... that one plain sucks. The other nerfs are fine, although uptaunt is now effectively useless -- might as well remove the effects entirely.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
On the one hand, it's hard to believe that the changes are aimed at IPK when he just lost to Sethlon and Lucky at BOSS2.

On the other, I agree about the whole ASC thing -- the 4-frame cancel obviously didn't unbalance the game, and instead of being a traditional "nerf" it just adds an extra 67 milliseconds during which you can kill yourself by tapping L too early. And of all the ways to lose a match... that one plain sucks. The other nerfs are fine, although uptaunt is now effectively useless -- might as well remove the effects entirely.
Well think about it this way, it is a taunt, and taunts are supposed to be useless anyways, so basically if you want to give your opponents absolute disrespect and be a jerk about it, there is no better way than taking 50% damage to finish 4 stocking your opponent. Nothing is more disrespectful.

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman

Hold on, how does pushing back the cancel iasa from 4 to 8 give you a 67 milisecond airdodge window.

Top Bottom