• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My thoughts on dealing with clones...

Mr.McPeaches

Smash Rookie
Hoh-kay, its always irked me that clone characters such as Falco and Pichu and Roy take up space on the roster...
So, to deal with this I think that it'd be great if they were stacked onto their origin character.
To play as Roy, you would pick Marth and hit Y (You'd press X to cycle through colors).

Personally, I'd like it if the clones weren't given their own character spaces.
(Roy and Falco mostly - Young Link and Pichu are different enough to be debatable)

As for the new Brawl characters, I don't really have too many objections to how they're set up.
Course, this has nothing to do with what will actually be in Brawl, I just wanted to know:

Does anyone else share my sentiment?

In any case, this is just my wishful thinking out loud.

Mr.McPeaches

Smash Rookie
Oh... lol.

It's not Sheik-style, in match... It's before the match, on the character select screen. Basically, put your cursor over Marth, hit Y, and the game will set your chosen character as Roy. Press A, and you're Marth again. For both characters, just press X to cycle through the colors. And, to reiterate, this is all on the character-select screen.

HollabackRyu

Smash Journeyman
Oh... lol.

It's not Sheik-style, in match... It's before the match, on the character select screen. Basically, put your cursor over Marth, hit Y, and the game will set your chosen character as Roy. Press A, and you're Marth again. For both characters, just press X to cycle through the colors. And, to reiterate, this is all on the character-select screen.
Yeah, you can choose Sheik like that in Melee, look it up.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
flaco equal to fox? :S

i mean, maybe they have the same animations, but they are totally different! you cant play with them ase they were the same character...

also, i think that marth is one of my best characters, but with roy i really SUCK at epic proportions... believe me, they are a lame because the same animations, but the are far from the same character...

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Huh? Exactly how would this solution solve the clone problem? All you're doing is sweeping the filth under the rug instead of laying it out for all to see. Either way, those clones are still taking up space. :(

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
dealing with the clones is easy u remove pichu, roy, dr. mario and young link completly

and u give falco and ganondorf new movesets, although i dont think they need to change falcos moveset that much hes already alot differnt than fox

Takalth

Smash Ace
flaco equal to fox? :S

i mean, maybe they have the same animations, but they are totally different! you cant play with them ase they were the same character...

also, i think that marth is one of my best characters, but with roy i really SUCK at epic proportions... believe me, they are a lame because the same animations, but the are far from the same character...
Yes, if two characters are as different as the clones are, they definitely need separate spots. Marth and Roy are one of the best examples because Marth is 4th from the top of the tier list and Roy is about 1/3 from the bottom. In fact, the only two that are next to each other on the tier list are Fox and Falco, and even in that case, it is entirely different strengths that put them both at the top.

The most common opinion is that Clones should either be removed (Doc, Pichu, Young Link, and Roy) or Decloned (Ganondorf, Falco), and I agree with that.

Chimchar!!!

Smash Cadet
I agree with Shy guy in that they should just cut the stupid clones and give ganon and falco and Luigi new movesets. I'm sure Nintendo is creative enough to come up with new moves.

Mr.McPeaches

Smash Rookie
Huh? Exactly how would this solution solve the clone problem? All you're doing is sweeping the filth under the rug instead of laying it out for all to see. Either way, those clones are still taking up space. :(

Yes, but isn't that the mindset of today's society? Make a fake veneer solution that solves nothing? :p

Seriously though, I want the clones out or decloned, but as an alternate idea, mine could work. I mean, Peach has a Daisy outfit, right?

Chepe

Smash Lord
No, because they are just taking the same amount of space (oh dont kid yourself that an icon on the roster screen is anything worth space) but just hidden in certain slots. It would be even sloppier than seeing Dr. Mario and Mario on the select screen together since only certain characters would have "character swaps" hidden in their slot...

Besides, I think Final Smashes are a big reason why clones wont return the way they did in Melee. Similar Final Smashes in animation are a big no no, Im sure Sakurai sees it that way too. Theyre supposed to be bursting with personality, and the team would have to come up with new things for them that would make the whole idea behind clones obsolete...

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
My thoughts on dealing with clones you ask? Simple. Don't add them. Actually put effort into the game and create unique movesets.

Top Bottom