• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My sister's getting a laptop this Xmas: I need help with an online wired connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
So my youngest sister's getting a laptop this Christmas. 80% sure of it. So 4 computers are going to be sharing a wireless cable connection. Yeah...so my online gaming days are over during the day at least starting this Christmas. There's going to be so much lag, it won't even be playable. My youngest sister's the final nail in the coffin. Whenever she isn't at school, she is ALWAYS on my parent's computer. She'd be on it for 15 hours a day if she could talking on AIM, Facebook, aka bandwidth whores. So I have 1 of 2 options available:

Option A: Modify my sleep schedule to get some gaming time in at night.

Option B: Set up a wired connection for my Wii.

I'd rather take option B. So what is a cheap and effective method to set up a wired connection for my Wii? How do you guys do it?

Here is my setup right now:

-My Wii is in the basement
-My router is upstairs
-My family is using a cable internet connection

I'd like to keep my Wii in the basement as much as possible. Sorry if I sound like a complete noob for saying this, but we have 2 outlets in the basement where I can plug in telephones. Would I be able to plug an ethernet cable into one of them and somehow get it connected to the Wii and have that connect to the internet?

ElNoNombreHombre

Smash Journeyman
No. Phone jack != Ethernet jack.

Without knowing the logistics of your house, the best I can do is say: get the longest ethernet cord you can find and see if they'll connect unobtrusively (measure first before you go buying anything!). See if you can find a way to snake it up through the floor.

Also, don't forget, you'll need a USB->Ethernet converter as the Wii has no Ethernet ports built in for some unknown reason.

You can get the official Nintendo one directly from Nintendo for $25 + tax and shipping. Though if you look around you can probably find it cheaper (ebay). Another option is third party ones (which should also be cheaper). I didn't go with that because I'm just a little leery on getting a third party peripheral for something that isn't a widely used feature.

If you can swing it, though, it's totally worth it. I just finished playing some of the least laggiest brawl I have ever played, having used this after borrowing my sister's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom