• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My School's Next Debate topic: 10% of Dept. of Defense's budget added to education.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Me14k

Smash Lord
"Ten percent of the current Department of Defense's annual budget will be trasferred to the department of education's annual budget.

This amount will not be required to be transferred during war. Times of war shall be defined as a period of time when CONGRESS has declared war and does not include a police action taken by the president."

The anti war liberals are going to say that this will likely lower the amount of money we spend in war while increasing the amount of $$ to education.

Conservatives (me) will say that throwing money at public education is not the answer and that we shouldn't do anything to curb spending by the Department of DEFENSE because that will lower spending which protects us.

I predict this debate will be very theoretical.

Me14k

Smash Lord
Hmm.. Nice Participation. Especially all of the new Temp Debaters. I guess Ill just post my research in attempt to get this topic to live.

Pro

More Money for Education
-On average nationwide, local governments raise 46% of the money needed to run public schools, state governments provide 47% and the federal government chips in 7%. (Issues and Controversies, March 31 2002)
-The federal government spent $439.3 billion(2007) for the department of defense while $57.3 billion (2005) for Dept. of Education. (Department of Education/Defense 2005/2007) 10% of Dept. of Defense will near double department of Education’s budget.
-More money equals better education. Schools that receive more funding have better results than schools with less funding. (Issues and Controversies, March 31 2002)

More Money for Teachers
-With near doubling of the budget, teachers will be rewarded with bonuses (logic)
-"A system that does not reward excellence cannot inspire it" (Ellen R. Delisio, Education World, 2006)
-As seen in the Hamilton County (Tennessee) school district which bonus incentives to teachers for good performance increases education. (Ellen R. Delisio, Education World, 2006)
-Many teachers are forced out of the teaching work force because of little pay. This cycle leads to young, inexperienced teachers.

Too much unnecessary money being spent in Dept. of Defense
-We already have the most powerful, advanced military in the world. Some of the defense money should be spent in other areas of the budget. (Petition to lower defense spending, Josh Pease)
-More money is not going to protect us from a nuclear war. “Multilateral peace talks are our best protection against a nuclear attack” (President Bush, February, 2007)

Con
Hurt our defenses
-Just before the September 11, 2001 attacks Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld “DoD needs every nickel to address the near decade-long decline in America's military” (Sept. 5 2001, Jim Garamone, American forces press reserve)
- [Rumsfeld’s Sept. 5 2001’s request] includes money for military quality of life programs, pay raises, housing improvements and TRICARE (Sept. 5 2001, Jim Garamone, American forces press reserve) Taking 10% away from dept. of Def.’s budget will take away these programs.
-Today we're vulnerable to missile attack. That's a fact. And as has been suggested by the chairman, weakness is provocative. It invites people into doing things that they otherwise would avoid." (Sept. 5 2001,Donald Rumsfeld)

Throwing money at education is not the answer
*First note that passing this bill will nearly double the budget for Education (logic)*
-The District of Columbia spends far more money per student in its public elementary and secondary schools each year than the tuition costs at many private elementary schools, or even college-preparatory secondary schools. Yet, District 8th-graders ranked dead last in 2005 in national reading and math tests. (Human Events Magazine, March 23 2006)
-Money does not increase education on the wide spectrum (Cato Institute 2005)

Hurt our ability to help third world nations
-With less money available to the Dept. of Defense, it will become more unsafe for peace keeping organizations and the U.S. to get involved because we won’t have troops to protect the peace keepers (logic)
- The best way to work to solve the Darfur conflict is directly with U.S support. (Lee Feinstein, Foreign affairs magazine)This will be harder to do with less money towards Dept. of Def.
-Some aid to Darfur is given directly from Dept. of Defense’s budget. In 2005 the Dept. gave up to $6 million to support African Union forces,(Memo directly from President Bush to for the Secretary of State and the Secretary of Defense, July 15, 2005)

halfDemon

Smash Lord
Hurt our defenses
-Just before the September 11, 2001 attacks Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld “DoD needs every nickel to address the near decade-long decline in America's military” (Sept. 5 2001, Jim Garamone, American forces press reserve)
- [Rumsfeld’s Sept. 5 2001’s request] includes money for military quality of life programs, pay raises, housing improvements and TRICARE (Sept. 5 2001, Jim Garamone, American forces press reserve) Taking 10% away from dept. of Def.’s budget will take away these programs.
-Today we're vulnerable to missile attack. That's a fact. And as has been suggested by the chairman, weakness is provocative. It invites people into doing things that they otherwise would avoid." (Sept. 5 2001,Donald Rumsfeld)
Hmm, it appears all of your sources happen to be from 2001, which was not just 6/7 years ago, but also a time of a much higher need for national defense due to the 9-11 attacks.

Currently, our national defense is at a fine level. Ballistic attacks are considered a low-level threat with the amount of defense systems we currently use, or are under development: AEIGIS, X-Band Radar, Ground-Based Interceptor, Airborne Laser, Space-Based Laser, Boost Phase Intercept, and THAAD being a few current ones.

Terrorism via cargo transport is almost impossible, or a successful terrorist act within it. Any nuclear substance can be found easily as every amount of cargo traveling in and out of the U.S. is screened before and after arrival/release. Systems are in place to stop older methods such as common explosive devices. And new methods and systems and technology is being made every day, not requiring huge funds to do so, such as http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6973385.html

Our national defense will be just fine with a 10% deficit, and our education system could use the financial boost, seeing as how so many methods of providing the funds for education are under heavy controversy, ie property tax expansion, parents with children in private schools unwillingness, local and state taxes, etc.

Just a few things to note.

Me14k

Smash Lord
Hmm, it appears all of your sources happen to be from 2001, which was not just 6/7 years ago, but also a time of a much higher need for national defense due to the 9-11 attacks.
Not one quote is directly after september 11 or even discussing sept 11. September 5 is before september 11 son. Read a little next time, especially when you are the first post.
These pre 9/11/2001 quotes show how rumsfeld saw a problem in our secruity and tried to fix it..in order to fix it we needed more money, nothing happened so what happens next?.........We get attacked on 9/11. Hmm.

parents with children in private unwillingly
Could you explain how parents choose to send their kids to private school, unwillingly?

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
These pre 9/11/2001 quotes show how rumsfeld saw a problem in our secruity and tried to fix it..in order to fix it we needed more money, nothing happened so what happens next?.........We get attacked on 9/11. Hmm.
I'm sure throwing money at it would have dissuaded the terrorists. See, I can claim spending money is throwing it too.

Spending more money on the Department of Defense would not have stopped 9/11, and it's laughable to think so. A better system might have, and that would have required money to work, but the idea that us cutting 10% of our defense budget will leave us open is not true at all.

Even if we cut our military spending in half, we will be spending far more then other nations. It was Britain who stopped the 2006 transatlantic plot, and they're almost underfunded. But we've not doing that, we're doing 10%.

I also agree that "throwing" money at education will do nothing, but make that 10% into college loans, teacher salaries, or just to update some schools (there are hundreds of schools that can't afford updated text books, my school donates their own to them). I see it as win-win, and could only be blocked by fear people who actually think Guiliani has any knowledge of foreign affairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom