• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My mildly successful time in FG

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
So today I actually had success in For Glory (what do you know?). For the most part, my skill held out (now mind you, most of the time when I have a good day, usually I will lose that skill. Its just my luck) and I captured some replays i hope to upload at a later time for analysis and anything I could improve on (I originally opted out of sharing replays so I'm not sure how to opt back in). In the meantime, I do seem to have trouble with:

Characters that have projectiles such as Link, Villager, and Megaman. I have no problem with Pacman. I can also have a problem with Ganondorf.
More confrontational characters like Mario, Kirby, Ike, and Zelda I don't have a problem with.

My skill eventually started to give way and I began to lose. I ended my endeavor into For Glory by voluntarily DCing in a match right before Fox disappeared in the background of the Isle Defino omega course. I will NEVER post videos of me being two-stocked as 1. It is embarrassing and 2. I leave myself open to ridicule from trolls in the community.
Instances like this rarely happen for me so I consider it a milestone. And no, Link's aren't scrubs in FG.

Last edited:

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
That sounds pretty average for an online experience.
There are always the characters you aren't good against, and the characters you are.
What did you mean by 'lose that skill'? You mean you play well but not consistently well?

Also as an aside, I'd be happy to give you some tips on dealing with my main and one of my secondaries, Villager and Link, respectively, although I don't spam Link's projectiles so that might not be really helpful. Good Link's use bombs effectively.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
That sounds pretty average for an online experience.
There are always the characters you aren't good against, and the characters you are.
What did you mean by 'lose that skill'? You mean you play well but not consistently well?

Also as an aside, I'd be happy to give you some tips on dealing with my main and one of my secondaries, Villager and Link, respectively, although I don't spam Link's projectiles so that might not be really helpful. Good Link's use bombs effectively.
I honestly thought this thread went by the wayside, thus why I haven't uploaded any footage.

Pretty much. I might have a good day where I have a solid win rate. In the days following however, nothing but losses will result. Its happened before and can go on for weeks at a time.Luck has never viewed me favorably with anything really, so it should come as no surprise. Its sure irritating though.

About the bomb thing, even though I used Fox's reflector with the bombs, it was difficult to keep my distance though. Whenever it seems I start to get pummeled, I tend to play more on the defensive than on the offensive (i.e. shooting my blaster from a distance, being less confrontational), as playing offensive most likely would lead to losing the match. But I guess that comes as sort of a repercussion in fighting on Omega stages, huh?

As for Villager, I don't know what those needle-like things are he tosses, but I've noticed that he can use that to keep me from getting back on the stage. With Timber, I stay away just because well, its self explanatory. With the wooden rocket, I'm usually good at either reflecting or dodging that.

Its weird how you'd think the confrontational characters would pose the biggest challenge and the projectile ones would be the weak and the meek, but in my case its the exact opposite.

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
As for Villager, I don't know what those needle-like things are he tosses, but I've noticed that he can use that to keep me from getting back on the stage.

Its weird how you'd think the confrontational characters would pose the biggest challenge and the projectile ones would be the weak and the meek, but in my case its the exact opposite.
Yeah, it depends on the Link player, but there's lag time on our bombs, so if you can figure that out you could probably approach. If you can manage to get in and juggle with utilt after some reflector/laser pressure and dodging and follow up with Fox's killing upsmash and/or aerial combos? (I think Fox has those?) That would be a thing to try. And you have Illusion, so between that, lasers and reflectors approaching should be pretty easy for Fox, just remember to dodge *both* of Link's fsmash swings (if they use both).

Needle like things? Well, we have a slingshot that shoots rocks.. uh.. not really any needles. But if you mean jumping in the air and tossing something out, yeah it's our slingshot fair/bair, one of the best tools we have for spacing, and it can even kill. It's pretty hard to deal with but it requires a lot of accuracy on our part, so mixing up your falls with fastfalls and moving/dodging would help.
With Timber, if it's a dumb villager you can reflect the tree and KO them instantly. We have a bit of endlag after chopping it, it's pretty hard to pocket it back.
With a smart villager they won't bother chopping the tree unless they see a really good chance. I'd only use a tree against Fox to create space for a moment, personally. Oh, and to edgeguard. And for the axe, of course. (14% damage and killmove baby!~)
With Loid Rockets you can just reflect them and approach, don't jump, a competent villager WILL slingshot you.
If that happens we'll probably pocket it back and send out two. These can also be reflected and led to an approach, but we may turnip you, which you can shield, or dtilt, which you can spotdodge, if you're expecting it. It's really about reading.

Last edited:
Top Bottom