• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My little project

DJRome

Smash Hero
seeing as how im trying to avoid schoolwork, im doing this right now. this summer, i got a broken fridge so i opened it up to see what was wrong (at least on the circuit board, the only part i could actually fix)

here some things i found out.
1. it's easy to tell if the fuse is blown. :) and it's just as easy to find a replacement. just eBay that sucker or go down to the nearest hardware store. since i have no car. . . eBay it is. i can get 100 of these babies for $11. . . i need to find one that is smaller in quantity to replace ONE. just had to make sure the voltage, amperage, length and diameter were correct. also, i found out that for motors, fuses need to be slow blow, and to solder onto the circuit board, i needed pigtails on the end.

2. you can tell if that capacitor is blown if it's raised up, meaning it's exploded internally. at least that's what i remembered from a pc motherboard fixing guide. and finding that corresponding capacitor is easy too. strangely, the same 10 capacitors i bought 3 months ago for $3.50 now are $8. once again, i just had to make sure the capacitance and voltage were appropriate

3. when you solder, just cut the tails off to an appropriate length and voila. once i get my new fuse, i'll see if this will make this sucker get off the ground and make my beers nice and cold. :)

disclaimer:always unplug before you handle. . .

Jaff

Smash Rookie
2. you can tell if that capacitor is blown if it's raised up, meaning it's exploded internally. at least that's what i remembered from a pc motherboard fixing guide. and finding that corresponding capacitor is easy too. strangely, the same 10 capacitors i bought 3 months ago for $3.50 now are $8. once again, i just had to make sure the capacitance and voltage were appropriate.
I don't know if you didn't mention it b/c you didn't know or b/c you forgot to - but those types of caps also have a polarity. The longer lead should go wherever the higher voltage should be coming from. That is one way to blow one up - if you send a high voltage (I think 40-50V would work on one of those) across that cap backwards, it'll start emitting a column of smoke and smelling pretty bad. =)

Top Bottom