• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My favorite yoshi kill set ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry W

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jaydubious
I have 4 main ways of getting kill with yoshi. I'm sure most of these are pretty common, but i think i've found a couple tricks. I haven't seen them posted anywhere, so here they are.

1. Egg to uair.
If your opponent is on the ground, and you are approaching with a short hop egg, and you hit them with the egg, you can easily combo it into an upsmash. At kill percentages however, the opponent bounces too high for an up smash, so what you can do instead is short hop uair. If you do it correctly it is a true combo. I've tested it in training mode. You have to have good forward momentum and sort of land underneath them. It can be risky though if they shield the egg, you can get punished. So wait for moments where you know the egg will hit. Like if they are charging a smash, or if they used a projectile with lots of end lag.

2. Spot dodge, yoshi bomb.
This one is pretty obvious. If you spot dodge a dash attack or a grab, you can usually counter with down b. However, if the opponents dash attack or missed grab takes them behind you, you can reverse the yoshi bomb. I haven't seen any video on this, but i plan to post one soon. Basically, if you hold the stick down, press b and immediately do a quarter circle in the opposite direction you are facing, the yoshi bomb will reverse and you can get the kill. I've done a lot of testing on this and for some reason i can easily reverse it to the right, but i have trouble doing it to the left. Not sure if its just my controller.

3. Bait air dodges with eggs, then Uair.
This is the most basic one. I see lot of people bait air dodges with empty jumps, the second jump into uair. But if you bait it out with an egg, you can do it from much lower, which makes the opponent feel like air dodging will be more safe. So jump, throw egg, look for air dodge, second jump uair.

4. Egg to fair spike.
Another that i see a lot of yoshi's trying, but i found out in training mode that you can actually turn this into a true combo if you do it fast enough. Also works better at higher percentages. If your opponent is trying to get back on stage and he recovers a little too high, short hop egg while moving forward, then double jump, and immediately fair. It takes some practice to get the angle right. Works really well against bigger characters like Rob and DDD, which is good because yoshi relies on kills off the top a lot in smash 4, so anything we can do to get spikes really helps.

Sorry if this is all common knowledge. This is all stuff i've been testing out on my own. I had a few people online surprised that some of these things actually combo, so i figured i'd post to find out.

Christobelle

Smash Rookie
NNID
Christobel
Thanks for sharing. Getting the KO's can be tough so any advice is appreciated. When "fishing" for a kill I usually use A, (first hit) to Down-B or A, Dash-U-Smash. Also you can try to B-Reverse (Tongue) near the edge to Egg-Lay them off the stage at high %'s. You can also try to chase them offstage with egglay. You can also try to grab heavier characters and mash A, and when the grab-release happens you can go for the above-mentioned A-(whatever) combos for the kill. Lots of combo potential w. Yoshi. Be creative!

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I'm locking this thread because I don't see much purpose in it remaining open. These kill setups are sort-of common knowledge, and there are guides for Yoshi out there that detail some hit strings and kill setups as well. For example this one: http://smashboards.com/guides/yoshis-story-survival-guide.27/ contains all the setups listed here, (listed under the Kill Setups section).

If anyone would like to ask for advice in landing the kill, there is a Question and Answer thread which can be found here: http://smashboards.com/threads/hint-block-yoshi-question-and-answer-thread.373013/

The Yoshi guides section can be found here: http://smashboards.com/guides/categories/yoshi.169/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom