• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Music Theory vs Music Improvistation (PG version)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Sorry FearTheMateria for stealing this :p But I have a lot of vested interest in this type of topic being a 30 years+ and published musician...

An interesting topic recently surfaced from the Creative Minds category of SWF. Someone had asked a question to improve musicality through sight reading and improvisation.

Throughout the responses; I am shocked that some people do not have much respect to find out through theory and perfer learning through Jam Sessions and messing around on an instrument.

I personally lean toward theory, that being my major, but I also enjoy improv. I do jam sessions on occasion and have picked up a few good licks to play in later pieces.

------------------------------------------------
Just a little background info on both sides:

Music Theory's Importance
-Almost all popular music is based on the I-IV-V-I progression, especially rock songs.
-Without Mozart, Beethoven, and other Classical/Modern composers, what would music be shaped like? Mozart naturally solidified the system and Beethoven optimised it in popularity.
-Scholarship auditions and the like are judged upon musicality and ability to read music.
-Alot of succesful composers in this day in age live and breathe a more complex form of theory

Improv!
-Jimi Hendrix, B.B. King, Ray Charles, Paul McCartney, John Lennon, [place random improv muscian here] have all recieved mainstream success through improvisational techniques.
-Creativity is much more easily expressed in this manner
-----------------------------------------------

If you have a stance, or are even neutral, post why and support your argument with anything varying from what you feel to whom you idolize to what you enjoy. Music is subjective, and so are you arguements in this thread. Have at it!
Music Theory at its core, is a way of understanding the fundamental relationships in and organization of sound.

Lets have an example: Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" - Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125 "Choral"

Just about everyone with working ears has heard this extremely simplistic (and yet strangely attractive) melody, but in case you are unfamiliar: -source

Now why do I note it's "strangely attractive?" What IS it about this song, or other songs, that just... sound right? Why is that when you hear a specific sound, your brain seems to know which one "should" follow... that when you hear the wrong note following, you wince at it?

These questions are at the heart of Music Theory. It attempts to answer these questions, by breaking down music, especially of past eras such as Baroque, Classical and Romantic, and providing a language by which one can assess a piece of music, and understand it.

Now, a theme like the one in Ode to Joy, though able to be played by most first year music students, still employs "rules" of Music Theory. The notes that are played, are in a "logical" order... the music takes a shape, and is "correct" ... none of it sounds wrong, as if a note were missing, or "off key."

There are many fundamental principles in Music Theory that go a long way to explain why music ... works. Why it sounds right. Things like, the "relative minor." Its interesting the mathematics behind this one principle, but in essence every "Major" scale has a relative "minor" scale, in which the "notes" in each scale are identical, and yet when played back to back, have very different "moods." Why, even the concept of "Major" vs "minor" requires quite a bit of study. Here's an excellent resource for anyone interested: Tonal Harmony a textbook on Music Theory you may find in your local library and through this link for purchase. It's a must-have for anyone serious about learning Music Theory.

Now that we've established -what- Music Theory is, why its important... we now move on to Improvisation.

Improvisation, is at its core, everything that Music Theory employs, without employing it! Example, Ode to Joy. Yes, Music Theory can be used to disect the song, and yes the song fits the mold well, its tones and measures are identifiable, its structure sound. But why did Beethoven choose the EXACT notes he did. His chord progression makes sense, in Music Theory terms, but the notes themselves, which make up the "melody" ... that was him. All him. He improvised that melody from his very soul, it came to him like all melodies come to all musicians that write them. There's no ... mathematical equation to create that melody, no Music Theory to explain it, only to explain why it works.

This is key in understanding how good music is written vs bad music. Yes, Music Appreciation is highly subjective, but you'll notice that you can hear a piece that will make you cringe, the veritable lemon to your ears, vs a nice melody, one that makes you go "ah, that's nice." Maybe it's Slayer, lol "ah, that's nice." But it's nice, and you like it. Why? Because it's honest... it can be applied to Music Theory and deconstructed thus, but ultimately it is rooted in creation from thin air, from the mind outward, and this gap... this "where did it come from" is at the heart of Improvisation.

Music Theorists often attempt to write original music employing the rules of Music Theory without employing any Improvisation. The result? Sounds terrible, usually, lol. Because there's no... soul behind it. It's just math. A computer program can even write its own music with enough variables programmed in. Will it sound right? Hit or miss really, it -can- write something that sounds good, but it's by chance. A human on the other hand, commands the music. The musician brings from within and displays outward the "next note" to the previous one, and it falls in line, a string of sounds that not only sound right, but sound good. Even Great if you're a great composer. Soloist. Improv artist. I won't say great musician, because often times you will find many musicians who are excellent at copying what someone else has written, and they can even give it their own feeling, their own "take" if you will, but they still can't come up with anything original on their own. This fundamental difference is at the heart of Improvisation, as it continues to elude many people to this day.

So this begs the question, which is more important to learn? Theory? or Improv? Well, the answer is simple. You LEARN theory, you DEVELOP improvisation. You cannot attack both the same way, and hope to get results. When it comes to Theory, it's as much learned as is Geometry or Algebra. When it comes to Improv, it takes as much practice as painting, or writing a poem. Some will get it right away, or will be seemingly "born" to improv, others will painstakingly practice for years, never quite getting the knack of it. How is this possible? Well my own personal view on this is that some folks have the improv switch turned on in their brains, others do not, and no amount of forcing the switch on will work. But this is just me.

How does this relate to Popular Music? Well, unfortunately, the lines have blurred over the years, the quality of musician has lessened, the Pop-music genre has been dumbed down from its roots ... but there's no mistaking a great melody, the kind that sticks in your head. And so long as people exist, so too will music and its ability to enthrall.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Haha... ok.

Though I don't have a lot of music knowledge myself, I have self-taught myself about hip-hop history and I'm working on throwing some beats together. From my experiences, it's important both to learn how the masters did it as well as doing some experimenting of your own.

Music theory is a great place to start. You need to learn the basics of how to compose your own music, and a great way to do so is to study the work of those who have done it before you. After getting down the basics, however, you really need to start working out your own ideas, just experimenting with whatever instrument or software you are going to use. Figure out what works and what doesn't. What sounds awkward or out of place? What enhances to your composition? You can read about these things in books, but until you mess around with your instrument/software, you won't have grasped the full concept yet.
Basically a shorter version of what you just said.

BSP

Smash Legend
Here is my view of the two subjects:

Music Theory: The building blocks of music. It teaches how to construct it, how it works, and why all the different chords/notes work well together.

Improvisation: This comes with experience and practice. Improvisation is the actual creation of the music, going off of what sounds nice.

To make music, both Improvisation is the only skill that must be present. Any person can pick up an instrument and create music. It may not be good, but it is still music. That being said, Music Theory is vital to ensure that the music reaches its greatest quality. The knowledge aquired about music from theory can be used to augment the sound of the original piece.

It is a matter of opinion to decide which of the two skills is the most important. I think both are needed to make music reach its highest potential.

Ajna

Smash Apprentice
Once upon a time there was a very creative cave man, who decided he loved the way it sounded when he hit a rock with his favorite stick.

All the other cave men used to gather around and listen with amazement, but could not emulate his infectious rhythms.. for they had no concept of music at the time.

Then one day, a rather bookish cave man (despite the lack of books) was listening and saw a pattern in his rock smacking. after several weeks of study, he walks up to a rock and smacks it with a stick in the same way the creative caveman had done in the weeks prior.. by following the notes he chizzled into a slab.

He then uses his findings, his patterns and equations, to teach the other cavemen how to smack rocks with THEIR sticks. Now every cave man and their mother smacks rocks with sticks.

The lesson of the story?

Only people with no natural music in their soul need music theory to become a "musician". It is a way for people with quantized thinking (which i realize most of you DH'ers are) to quantize sonic art. Theory can help anyone find new musical ideas.. but a part of me wishes I never learned a lick of it.. so I could still have the raw unaltered perception of my musical soul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom