• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Music Goes Wrong

Yalung

Smash Cadet
I recently replaced quite a number of songs, but some of them are corrupted, or just broken, not really sure how to describe this issue in one word. The music plays fine for a bit, but later, it starts to play some default music from Project M, but in a faster speed and with static.

I heard about defragging your SD card might help, but my SD card will refuse to defrag for some reason without a program. I just tried using the tools in the properties of the SD card. I wouldn't want to risk getting a virus by accidentally downloading an irresponsible program.

I'm sure it's the BRSTM itself, or themselves, and these are songs that I would really want in the game. How could I fix this issue for future song replacements? Is it possible to ADD new songs to a stage?

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
The BRSTMs themselves aren't corrupt. You just have to manually defrag the card by dragging all of the files off of it at once and then putting everything back on the card at once. If that fails, free up some space on the card and try again.

Brstm files tend to do this more often when you drag and replace an existing file already in the strm folder rather than deleting any existing files you're trying to replace first.

And no you can't add music slots.

Yalung

Smash Cadet
The BRSTMs themselves aren't corrupt. You just have to manually defrag the card by dragging all of the files off of it at once and then putting everything back on the card at once. If that fails, free up some space on the card and try again.

Brstm files tend to do this more often when you drag and replace an existing file already in the strm folder rather than deleting any existing files you're trying to replace first.

And no you can't add music slots.
So, just pretty much take everything out and put them back in, that's it? Or am I missing more information? I'll follow your instructions after you reply for the second time.

Quick note, if I try taking stuff out of the SD card, like dragging files out onto the PC, then it copies it, it doesn't just go out. The only way it will is if I delete the file(s) out of the card. Should I drag everything out into a folder, delete the files on the SD, then put the files back in?

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
So, just pretty much take everything out and put them back in, that's it? Or am I missing more information? I'll follow your instructions after you reply for the second time.

Quick note, if I try taking stuff out of the SD card, like dragging files out onto the PC, then it copies it, it doesn't just go out. The only way it will is if I delete the file(s) out of the card. Should I drag everything out into a folder, delete the files on the SD, then put the files back in?
You can use the 'cut' command to avoid copying the files, but yes essentially that's the idea; take everything off and put it back on at the same time.

If you want to do the folder thing, then that's fine too.

Yalung

Smash Cadet
You can use the 'cut' command to avoid copying the files, but yes essentially that's the idea; take everything off and put it back on at the same time.

If you want to do the folder thing, then that's fine too.
I gave the songs a listen, and they seem to be working flawlessly now! One more thing, some songs are also pretty quiet in volume, any way I can fix that?

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
There's two main ways to go about that:
- converting the brstm back into a .wav file and using an audio editor to increase its volume before converting it back (lengthy)

- adding a code to the P:M codeset that either equalizes music volume universally or for individual track slots (not as lengthy)

If my computer wasn't fried I'd walk you through either process, but the latter option is pretty straightforward when you have the correct programs, namely Brawlbox. Here's the code to equalize volume btw:

Code:
Music Equalizer
* 041CA05C 388000XX
where xx is a number from 01 - 127.
85 - 90 is a good volume imo.

Last edited:

Yalung

Smash Cadet
There's two main ways to go about that:
- converting the brstm back into a .wav file and using an audio editor to increase its volume before converting it back (lengthy)

- adding a code to the P:M codeset that either equalizes music volume universally or for individual track slots (not as lengthy)

If my computer wasn't fried I'd walk you through either process, but the latter option is pretty straightforward when you have the correct programs, namely Brawlbox. Here's the code to equalize volume btw:
I found a progam on my computer that's called SSBB Song Manager, and it allows me to change the volume. The highest volume I've seen was 80, and I thought that seems to be the maximum cap. Would the game be able to handle 127, which would be the loudest I assume?

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
I found a progam on my computer that's called SSBB Song Manager, and it allows me to change the volume. The highest volume I've seen was 80, and I thought that seems to be the maximum cap. Would the game be able to handle 127, which would be the loudest I assume?
Song manager was probably displaying the current volume level of that song you viewed. A lot of songs in the game are set around 80 or so.
I don't recommend 127 as personally anything above the 92-95 range is pretty loud as it is, but you can play around with it if you want.

Yalung

Smash Cadet
Song manager was probably displaying the current volume level of that song you viewed. A lot of songs in the game are set around 80 or so.
I don't recommend 127 as personally anything above the 92-95 range is pretty loud as it is, but you can play around with it if you want.
I have, and everything is better than before. Thanks alot for helping me man! It is highly appreciated. If any admins are watching, feel free to close this topic for any further replies.

Top Bottom