• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[MU] Yoshi

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
I found Yoshi to be one of the more harder matchups for Link, even more so due to the latest Jab 1 nerf. Yoshi's aerials are very good, considering that his moves pack power as well as quick start up, and ridiculous shield pressure. Yoshi's Egg Throw is also an incredibly effective move to counter our bombs and boomerangs, and stopping our aerial approaches due to it's wide angle. Any advice on how Link can counter a Yoshi that can shut down most approaches?

Yoshi's Assets:
>Nair comes out very quickly (faster than Link's)
>Fair isn't very telegraphed, can meteor, and can be safe on block if spaced correctly
>Dair has incredible shield pressure and is a long lasting move that can outlast air-dodges and spot-dodges
>Uair is a decent kill move at higher percents
>Second Jump has armor, meaning all of Link's aerials (with a possible exception of Dair Strong Hit and BOTH hits of Fair) will not affect Yoshi during the jump
>Jab is a good OoS move, comes out faster than any of Link's moves
>All tilts come out reasonably fast
>Smash Attacks have good knockback as well as decent range
>Down Special is a shield breaker
>Command Grab comes out with decent speed and can be used to set up for kills at higher percents
>Up Special: Egg Throw has decent range, a wide angle, can be used to cover Yoshi's landing as well as shutdown aerial approaches. Also cancels out bombs, boomerangs, and uncharged arrows.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Just a note about Yoshi's DJ armor. It's not super armor, it's heavy armor. What this means is that it will only withstand an attack if the attack would have inflicted under a certain level of knockback. If you want to beat out the DJ armor, use a move with high knockback and keep in mind the percent that Yoshi is on. The higher Yoshi's percent, the more moves you will have available to beat the DJ. Luckily for Link, he has a ton of high knockback moves. To give you an idea, in training mode, F-tilt will knock Yoshi out at 47%, Dair spike works from 67%, the strong hitbox immediately following the pike works from 51%, and the weaker hitbox following that works from 67%. First hit of Fair works from 88% while the second hit works from 73% (and if you count the 8% damage from the first hit, then it works from 65%). The strong initial hit of Nair will work from 79% while the weak hit, just for comparison, while only start working at 153%.
So use high knockback moves where possible.

FierceGaiety

Smash Cadet
Starting a fight with Yoshi sucks. You have to tack on at least like 40% before his DJ can't just nope out of anything it wants. It doesn't get much better either since his aerials are so strong and his jab game beats us out. As if that weren't enough of a pain already he's also got his Nair which is nearly a get out of jail free card for chasing air combos. The way I try to handle the MU is by run and gunning him with projectiles until he's close to 40% and then baiting out his Nair and punishing with those sweet disjointed hitboxes. It's probably a bad MU for us though since he approaches so well and has flat out better normals imo. Also I'm pretty sure he's exactly as heavy as Link too so he's a pain in the butt to KO.

TrevyTrev

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrevyTrev510
Just lost to a yoshi twice in a local tournament today. Just kept throwing those damn eggs at me and made it hard it for me to land. I'm use to yoshi's playing aggressive but him just throwing eggs threw me off. Still not sure how to play this matchup.

Last edited:

ThirdDay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
toastyost
3DS FC
1934-1050-5329
Just lost to a yoshi twice in a local tournament today. Just kept throwing those damn eggs at me and made it hard it for me to land. I'm use to yoshi's playing aggressive but him just throwing eggs threw me off. Still not sure how to play this matchup.
That's exactly what happened to me in an online tournament. What I tried to do is just mix him up. Sometimes just run right towards Yoshi while he's throwing eggs. That will make him get confused. Then just play your best, and bring your A game!

TrevyTrev

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrevyTrev510
That's exactly what happened to me in an online tournament. What I tried to do is just mix him up. Sometimes just run right towards Yoshi while he's throwing eggs. That will make him get confused. Then just play your best, and bring your A game!
Yeah I'll try to mix up my approach! Just lost motivation after that first stock lol but I'll be more prepared next time.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Yoshi can force through our projectiles as well as pressure us with his own. His eggs are very hard to counter due to the angle(s) that he can throw them. In a lot of scenarios, Yoshi can actually try to force Link to approach, and that's one of the biggest problems in this match-up.

His air and ground speed are superior to Link. His weight is very good. His damage output trumps Link's and his knockback on his strongest hits are close to that of Link's. Yoshi can also combo and juggle Link very easy and his close range game is still better than Links... Although Yoshi's moves can be pretty punishable. Yoshi can also apply much more effective shield pressure than Link can to him.

We have more projectiles and better reach on more of our moves but that's about it. However, Link can definitely get the upper hand by use of Bombs which will really be Link's savior in this match-up. On paper, Yoshi definitely seems to beat Link.

4/6 (Yoshi)

Last edited:

TrevyTrev

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrevyTrev510
Yoshi can force through our projectiles as well as pressure us with his own. His eggs are very hard to counter due to the angle(s) that he can throw them. In a lot of scenarios, Yoshi can actually try to force Link to approach, and that's one of the biggest problems in this match-up.

His air and ground speed are superior to Link. His weight is very good. His damage output trumps Link's and his knockback on his strongest hits are close to that of Link's. Yoshi can also combo and juggle Link very easy and his close range game is still better than Links... Although Yoshi's moves can be pretty punishable. Yoshi can also apply much more effective shield pressure than Link can to him.

We have more projectiles and better reach on more of our moves but that's about it. However, Link can definitely get the upper hand by use of Bombs which will really be Link's savior in this match-up. On paper, Yoshi definitely seems to beat Link.

4/6 (Yoshi)
How do you usually go into the matchup?

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
How do you usually go into the matchup?
Bomb in hand. Its how you should be going into just about every match-up. Whether you hit the guy or not, it never fails to have a bomb on you... Unless you use it unwisely.

Last edited:

JTF

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hipster_JTF
The MU can either go two ways, they can be dumb and try to outspace you with eggs or they can be smart and go in and put pressure on you.

Here is what you can do in both situations -
Yoshi playing defensive and spacing out:
Outzone him, your rotations are 10x better than his eggs. Slowly make your way to him and then expect him to either nair, fair, or grab. Best option when getting close and you don't want to comit to anything is fair. You do not want to try to fight yoshi or else he will destroy you, so just stay back and poke with safe options.
Yoshi playing aggressive:
Now here is the hard part, Yoshi has so many options to do when he is on you. He can go straight through you projectiles with eaise, your best option to do is just run away and play super lame. When I play Yoshi's I tend to use zair a lot more than usual to just keep him away even more. He will still be able to get to you, it just helps rack on some more % and keeps him out for a bit longer. When he is pressuring your sheild try to OoS nair-boomerang(What I find most efective).

This is just my two cents on this MU, I may be wrong, but this is just how I play it.

Top Bottom