• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[MU] Link vs Palutena

LightLelouch89

Smash Cadet
This has been briefly addressed in some posts here, but I want to know what the consensus is on dealing with her. I definitely do a lot better against Sonic players now thanks to the posts here.

Admittedly, I had been dissing the emerald haired beauty as weak given that I had yet to lose this match despite her ability reflect projectiles. However, last night, I got two stocked by an incredibly good Palutena player and lost the rematch as well (wasn't able to secure a 3rd fight, or else I would have recorded and uploaded it here).

Last edited by a moderator:

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I'm not even 100% sure all what Palutena is capable of, but I haven't lost to her yet. She has many high priority moves, but projectiles work wonders on her. Just don't fire arrows at her reflector.

Natmax

Smash Apprentice
Anyone have insight on this? I feel like despite the projectile reflector link should win this MU, but I just played a good Palu for the first time in bracket and lost. Not really sure how to play neutral, I ended up getting grabbed a lot. What do people think about just not using projectiles much in the MU? I feel like our disjointed aerials beat hers, we can just stand there and use hylian shield to block her projectile. I don't think her aerials are very good approach tools--her grab does seem to true combo into bair or up air though depending on DI, which is the worst that can happen.

Last edited:

Lord Renning

Smash Journeyman
There's a very good Palutena at my locals. I can't beat him at all, but I can tell you a lot about her from watching him play people who do beat him.

Her dash attack is invincible because of the shield, as is her back air. But that doesn't cover her legs, or the top of her head, only the area around and behind the shield. Both are two of her approach options. Target appropriately, but don't try to trade with them. Bair is a kill option.

I'm spacing on her third approach option, which I'll edit in later, but basically she has three, and she can make it a rock-paper-scissors deal.

Always DI away from her throws. Only fair can combo out of it then.

Jab 1 into grab is true. Jab into upsmash is almost true. She's going to fish for grabs and jabs at high percents, because down throw to holy up air is her best kill option until upthrow kills.

You can throw stuff at her off-stage, but her teleport recovery is almost too good to bother trying to gimp if she's nearing range for it. Likewise, she's very good off-stage and at gimping. Her options are to go down and spike you, to hover over the ledge with up air, or to fall with nair to drag you down to hell. She can only go for one of these though, and she needs to dedicate to one option, so mix up or delay your recoveries to mix her up, or make her choose one and work around it.

When she's coming down, a good Palu can ledge cancel her teleports to make landing easy. Keep her teleport distance in mind, and watch her trajectory to see which ledge she's going for. You can try to cover it with a boomerang.

She can shark under the stage with up air on Battlefield and others with similar ledges. You can stage spike her with a bomb if she tries this, either by soft throwing a bomb by the ledge, or baiting it and throwing one at the stage.

Reflector is annoying, and can shove you if you're close, but if you're gentle with bombs, they won't have the oomph to reach bounce back at you. Reflector is also laggy, and we can grab her through it. A good fakeout is to run at her with a bomb, bombslide toss it up, and grab her. Remember that reflected boomerangs don't hurt us, so they're always safe to toss. You can also bounce them off the stage so they fly off at an angle that won't shove you.

Her counter is garbage.

Our best aspect in this match is her light weight and our excessive kill power, along with the good damage we get off strings. She's at kill percent around 70-80, so we can focus on short assured damage. Ultimately Palutena is a simple character, and a good Palutena will have taken their handful of safe options and practiced them to death, and wins by getting inside your head and outplaying you with patience. A bad Palutena uses smash attacks and tilts, and you can casually crush them by punishing their laggy attacks without advice.

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
I haven't played a good one in tourney yet, but I assume throwing a bomb from above Palu is safe from her reflector right? You might get caught by USmash that way though.

Also, Fox Is Openly Deceptive Fox Is Openly Deceptive , can you fix the spelling of Palutena's name in the title?

Lord Renning

Smash Journeyman
I haven't played a good one in tourney yet, but I assume throwing a bomb from above Palu is safe from her reflector right? You might get caught by USmash that way though.

Also, Fox Is Openly Deceptive Fox Is Openly Deceptive , can you fix the spelling of Palutena's name in the title?
It is, if you're above her and the reflector has moves a small distance (it come our practically on top of her) or if you bomb the back of her head. The angle is sort of hard to get, because of the height of her reflector combined with the waif wire frame of Palutena and our bomb's love of spinning. Plus her reflector seems to bow in a little around her shield.

Top Bottom