• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Moving Interstate to Melbourne

__Lewis__

Smash Cadet
So here I am, half way through my last year of school and am already prepared to move.
Right now I live in Perth and have only been to Melbourne once, some 8 years ago.
My family and I are moving over late this year and am curious as to know what're the "good" areas of Melbourne to live (especially for family), including a dog.
I'm also curious to know what the Universities are like over there, along with the TAFEs (or equivalent to) and especially what it's like for musicians looking for bands.

I look forward to experiencing a new place to live, and hopefully you can help me out *obligatory smiley*

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Good areas of Melbourne? Depends how rich you are and what you're looking for. I suppose well-to do families aim for anything in the inner-east, inner-south and inner north-west that's not too close to the city, yet not too far. There's no really 'bad' places though, just less pretty ones.

Universities - a primer
Melbourne University and Monash University = elitist, v.large
RMIT = funky, a magnet for design/creative types, large
Latrobe, Deakin, Swinburne = pretty accessible, general and all large
TAFEs = too many, but they are smaller

looking for bands shouldn't be hard - melbourne has the most accessible live music scene in the country, it's prolly worth just hitting up gigs and asking them about how to get in the music bizz ~ many start from uni/school
good places for music = FITZROY, st.kilda, CBD

I can help you settle, I know practically everything about the city, try me

__Lewis__

Smash Cadet
Okay, new questions regarding tertiary education (rather, a little more detailed).

I'm looking into the concept of a Tafe course as opposed to University. Something to do with the stigma of high prices I suppose, although I'm more than welcomed to being talked into taking a Uni course if it seems right.

I'm looking as to go further into my studies of either English (possibly journalism or a study in general), or Music performance.

Has anyone taken up courses similar to these, or go to a Tafe which provides these options?
I'm reading up about Tafes now, and my search results have been very vague so far, so any help is appreciated.
*second obligatory smiley*

Dedu

Smash Lord
TAFE is better than Uni for your umm particular interests _Lewis_

You could do a standard 'Music' course and go from there - it often takes a few tries in various courses to know what you are looking for and what you want out of a course. As for journalism, uni would be the better choice - eg do Bac of Arts or a Media Communications course. Hell even an English major would be what you might need to get into the media.

Uni is like the 'standard best option' if you wish to 'further' your studies from high school, tafe, w/ever. But yeah it comes at high prices, something not worth wasting your hard earned cash if you decide you need to do a different course or go somewhere else lol.

Top Bottom