• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Moves you can rest people out of

ZipZopZoop

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone! Ive only been playing a few months (other than casually when melee came out) so I'm still a noob and I've been trying to learn all I can. After I found out there were moves you could rest people out of doing, it has kind of become my main interest because it gets awesome reactions and most don't expect it.

So what moves can you rest out of on which characters? The ones I've found so far are:
Captain Falcons knee- really easy to time if they try to get it out of down throw but they make it a lot harder to do after they space it better.

Falcos dair- If falco is on a platform above me and I expect him to fall through and dair I get it sometimes. It seems kinda easy so I wonder if it's just luck or if this is actually more than a 1 off surprise

Sheiks dair- basically like resting falcos dair. Things like this against sheik I really like because sheik is my hardest matchup

Sheiks fsmash- I've crouch cancelled and rested between the 2 kicks

Fox uair- never done this actually but I've heard of this one mentioned most online. Seems really hard to hit and like it would be more effective to sdi out of it instead.

And of course there is the crouch under sheik/marth grab>rest

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Almost any smash attack that whiffs. Also most of them that hit your shield. You can rest lots of Ganon's moves. Also Jigglypuff Tutorials has videos on how to rest marth's Utilt and Sheik's Dsmash on shield.

You can technically rest someone out of any move (except shine) if you have a good read. Typically, people can react in ~15 frames, so you can look at frame data to see more specific stuff that I didn't mention.

Crip

Smash Rookie
honestly just watch the youtube video with like 3 hours of hungrybox rests, youll learn a lot

Top Bottom