• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Movement with Mewtwo

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Recently, people like Ryo and Scatt have been making waves with there mediocre characters. Everyone sees how good the character is and tries to replicate them, but they can't. The reason being, they don't have good movement.

Just watch a video of Ryo, look at how insanely scary he is to watch and imagine how annoying it would be to deal with the baits in his movement.

The question is, how should Mewtwo move? Hopping around being insanely careful like Ike? Or fast and quick like Shiek?

Discuss...

Please don't flame or post false info. Your opinion is fine and should be respected, so respect others opinions too.

Sonicninja115

The main problem with yoyr analysis is mm and ine aren't mediocre and mewtwo sucks.
They aren't top tiers, and without their movement I doubt they would have gotten that far. Even the announcers said they had really good movement, and when I watch Ryo use Ike I can plainly see his movement and how it affects the match.

Pretty sure Ike is lower high and megaman is a solid mid, but I could be mistaken.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
They aren't top tiers, and without their movement I doubt they would have gotten that far. Even the announcers said they had really good movement, and when I watch Ryo use Ike I can plainly see his movement and how it affects the match.

Pretty sure Ike is lower high and megaman is a solid mid, but I could be mistaken.
They're both probably top 25 and the Ike players have been talking him up for a while.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Hopping around for offense while fast on the retreat sounds about right to me. Our air dodge definitely helps the former, while Shadow Ball's recoil helps us maintain space on the retreat. IDK

Pretty much my thoughts.

Sonicninja115

Recently, I have being using more phasing (SHAD) and LC. I am by no means proficient with LC yet, but phasing is pretty useful and easy.

I have been using a largely ground based Mewtwo, only resulting to aerials when in a advantageous situation.

I want to expirement with different movement styles... I will probably add a section in the meta game thread with my findings.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Does Mewtwo have any use of dance trotting? And if so does anyone know his dancetrot rhytm? Have been using it so much with Falcon recently so it got me wondering if it can be incorporated into my Mewtwo game too.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Does Mewtwo have any use of dance trotting? And if so does anyone know his dancetrot rhytm? Have been using it so much with Falcon recently so it got me wondering if it can be incorporated into my Mewtwo game too.
I find it rather good, it can be used into a phase or DA depending on what option the opponent takes. Plus, Mewtwo has confusion, which allows him to counter any projectile attempt made during the extended dash dance. Mewtwo can also teleport out of it, thus there is really only upsides, and it is really safe.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
I think Mewtwo would be best off moving similar to Ike. He dies fairly easily, so pacing yourself and accurately predicting an opponent's next move is pretty much vital for Mewtwo, and he does not move quickly like Shiek. From what I know, his aerials cover a lot of space, so possibly spacing with a b-air while studying the opponent's tendencies would be useful.

Browny

Smash Hater
Ike is secretly high tier btw.

I just camp and float around a lot, stalling with sideb.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

I think Mewtwo would be best off moving similar to Ike. He dies fairly easily, so pacing yourself and accurately predicting an opponent's next move is pretty much vital for Mewtwo, and he does not move quickly like Shiek. From what I know, his aerials cover a lot of space, so possibly spacing with a b-air while studying the opponent's tendencies would be useful.
Ike's movement does not fit well with Mewtwo as it is too punishable for Mewtwo. Bair is rather slow, and it's hitbox is aggravating when used on a grounded opponent. It is still a movement option that should be used to imply pressure. ZeRo often switches between this style and aggressive movement options.

Browny Browny , Ike is definetly middle to lower high tier, I already have my brother raging about how OP he is.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Ike is secretly high tier btw.

I just camp and float around a lot, stalling with sideb.
I'd rather not use confusion unnecessarily like that, it takes a bit too much time to complete so a canny opponent will catch on eventually. It's best used for crossing the stage quickly in the air or avoiding an attack you're fairly certain is going to happen.

Like Sonicninja115 Sonicninja115 said it's best to mainly stick to the ground until the opponent jumps first because Mewtwo's aerials aren't very well suited for air-to-ground purposes. Fair and nair are the best in this regard and work well as surprises, but they can easily get spaced out if you use them too much.

Mewtwo's movement options generally work better for evasion rather than starting an assault. In that regard it's best to employ a hit-and-run, or stick-and-move depending on the character. Move in, try an attack (often a crossup nair), press the advantage if you get it, retreat if you don't.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
So how does movement change now that Mewtwo had a ground speed buff? Is the strategy the same, just that we are better at it now?

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

So how does movement change now that Mewtwo had a ground speed buff? Is the strategy the same, just that we are better at it now?
Phasing is much better now. Phase-Fair is ridiculously safe, and Uair is now safe on shield.

Falling fair is a pretty good approach option, even without phasing.

Other then that, fake EDD, PP and all the other AT movement options have been buffed.

I find that he still wants to keep the same movement strategy, but he can do so much more now. Also, I haven't experimented much with Movement since the patch, so meleebrawler meleebrawler or others might have more/better input.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Phasing is much better now. Phase-Fair is ridiculously safe, and Uair is now safe on shield.

Falling fair is a pretty good approach option, even without phasing.

Other then that, fake EDD, PP and all the other AT movement options have been buffed.

I find that he still wants to keep the same movement strategy, but he can do so much more now. Also, I haven't experimented much with Movement since the patch, so meleebrawler meleebrawler or others might have more/better input.
I've never heard of "fake EDD" before.

I'd say you're spot-on, though. Mewtwo should be fairly defensive and evasive, staying close to the ground most of the time. Short hop air dodge for Mewtwo is apparently the fastest in the game (thank you @Thinkaman ) for acting out of while still airborne, so short hop air dodge + Fair is a decent approach tool. Mewtwo's Fair is one of the best fast Fairs in the game, but be careful not to spam it. It makes for a nice spacing tool alongside Shadow Ball, though.

So, yeah. Since auto-cancelled Nair, falling Fair, Jab, and Dtilt are our best combo starters, and we love getting Grabs, Mewtwo wants to fight close to the ground whenever possible.

Contrast that with Ike, who focuses heavily on short hop aerials, only really caring about Jab, Grab, and Dtilt (and rarely Ftilt) in a neutral grounded scenario. Even then, it's Ike's fantastic aerials that make way for the opponent to fall into his Grabs or Dtilts.

Meanwhile, Mewtwo is faster on the ground, but has a different kind of aerial tool kit. Mewtwo's Fair is the most Ike-like move he has.

Mewtwo does tend to chase people into the air, though. Uair can kill now. Whereas Ike mostly chases people into the air to land one meaty hit, Mewtwo wants to execute a whole aerial string... carrying the opponent off screen, if possible.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

I've never heard of "fake EDD" before.

I'd say you're spot-on, though. Mewtwo should be fairly defensive and evasive, staying close to the ground most of the time. Short hop air dodge for Mewtwo is apparently the fastest in the game (thank you @Thinkaman ) for acting out of while still airborne, so short hop air dodge + Fair is a decent approach tool. Mewtwo's Fair is one of the best fast Fairs in the game, but be careful not to spam it. It makes for a nice spacing tool alongside Shadow Ball, though.

So, yeah. Since auto-cancelled Nair, falling Fair, Jab, and Dtilt are our best combo starters, and we love getting Grabs, Mewtwo wants to fight close to the ground whenever possible.

Contrast that with Ike, who focuses heavily on short hop aerials, only really caring about Jab, Grab, and Dtilt (and rarely Ftilt) in a neutral grounded scenario. Even then, it's Ike's fantastic aerials that make way for the opponent to fall into his Grabs or Dtilts.

Meanwhile, Mewtwo is faster on the ground, but has a different kind of aerial tool kit. Mewtwo's Fair is the most Ike-like move he has.

Mewtwo does tend to chase people into the air, though. Uair can kill now. Whereas Ike mostly chases people into the air to land one meaty hit, Mewtwo wants to execute a whole aerial string... carrying the opponent off screen, if possible.
I just made a video about it, I give a short description of how to do it right below the vid.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr6lDEX8zhs

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Mewtwo's ledge trump can help carry foes to the breach where they can't recover
Edit:Using his bair

Last edited:
Top Bottom